Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Why I'm Nervous About Seminary This Semester...

1. One of my theology professors seems to be all riled up about anything that hints of theology that comes from any members of the emerging church. My theory behind his current passion is that Millard Erickson just did a class at Western and I believe got the professors all riled up to "stand firm in the truth" and that there are simply some things that should not be questioned (like whether God knows the future or not) as one example.

2. The old man who sits in my Advanced Hermeneutics class. Much like one of the gentlemen last semester he asks asinine questions that have little or nothing to do with the class but have everything to do with his need for self-validation.

3. Coffee is not having the same effect on me this semester. I drank a few cups during class yesterday but for some reason it did not make the class more interesting or help me think better. Am I aquiring a tolerance??? That would be trouble!

4. A student in one of the classes made an arrogant crack on Mclaren and snickered like he was SO much of a smarter theologian than Mclaren. I like Mclaren quite a bit as he has helped me think more than any other current author. I feel to admit that would lead to me being burned at the stake right now.

For all of these reasons, I'm not sure how Seminary is going to be this semester. I think two of the three classes I have to be very important and I'm excited to put in the time but I'm not sure there is going to be a very balanced perspective, nor balanced discussion leaving me frustrated. I hope I'm surprised.

No comments: