Tuesday, January 30, 2007

A Visit From Elvyss

No, not that Elvis. My Salvadorian friend Elvyss from NYC. Haven't seen him since I got married in Florida over a year and a half ago. It was funny last night at the Brass to remember how I actually met Elvyss. When I was a pastor at Mosaic we were handing out Krispy Kreme donuts to people on the street on their way to work. Elvyss grabbed a donut and one of our Mosaic cards and out of guilt that he had taken a donut from us felt obligated to come to a Sunday service just once. Not exactly what we were going for as far as motivation but he was there nonetheless. After which he was a part of my small group for a long time, and then part of the theology pub I started in the East Village which met for about a year I believe. We talked about all kinds of things but one of the best things we did I believe was to go through Mark Driscoll's book "The Radical Reformission." I think that prompted the best discussions.

In any case, Elvyss and his girl Kristen are thinking of moving here next July to have some more space and pay less rent. I hope I sold you on the city Elvyss and I hope you enjoyed the Evergreen Community as well. We could use some diversity! Especially of the Latino flair!

Plus, last night at the Brass I had never yet seen anyone threaten to stab Bob. That was a Brass first! Nice work Elvyss, you made history.

Other than that, the other favorite moment was at the Wunderland nickel arcade where we played Buck Hunter Pro and had a battle to the death in Ski Ball. Nice having you around man.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude whet the heck, I miss one night at the brass and Bob's life gets threatened!! What gives? More details! By the way Elvyss, nice to meet you this past Sunday!! Hope you make the move back out west again. Tom

Anonymous said...

Ha!!!!!
I finally made it to the big time on your Blog and I finally found a computer! I just got in this morning from a long asss flight. I think it's looking good so far for the move to Portland. I'm also sorry you didn't get to see Nash in actiion. I'll talk to you soon.

Anonymous said...

Tom it was also nice meetin you.

Elvyss