Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Feel the burn!

Today I worked out with a personal trainer and I've got to tell you, lifting weights is a LOT tougher when you do it the right way. I am used to just throwing as much weight as I can and going at it but as I learned today, the weight really has little to do with it unless you are a body builder. When you use proper form it is brutally hard. I had about 30 pounds on the bench machine today and with proper form and movement my chest was burning like a phoenix (mythical bird from Harry Potter). I only did four different exercises but with this dude showing me the ropes, it made the workout about 100 times more effective. I'm only doing 5 sessions with this guy just hoping to learn some more technique so I can do things better in the gym. I'm also secretely training so I can beat up the next guy who tries to steal videos at the store.

I weighed in today and it seems since we have moved to Portland I have lost about 12 pounds. I'm down to 206 with 20% body fat which was fairly encouraging. The "fit" range is between 13-17% body fat so I'm not all that far away. The "athlete range" is between 8-12% and I'm not quite ready for that challenge right now! I haven't been in that shape since High School. I just want to be considered fit! My goal is to be about 190 with 13 percent body fat. He said if I follow this plan I could do that in two to three months so I'm going to give it a shot. Working out today felt great. I'm going to go back tomorrow and work out with this dude again.

I've got to say that I highly recommend a personal trainer, even if it's just for 5-10 sessions to develop a plan. I think it will make all the difference in the world. Going on my own and just doing what I want has never done anything for me (and wouldn't considering how many things I was doing wrong that I didn't even know about). It turns out that your high school football coach has no idea what training is. I wish I wouldn't have listened to those guys.

I tell you all of this because I'm excited and really have a desire to be back in mid-college shape and not have this beer belly and also so you (my friends) can ask me about it once in a while and keep me in check.

No comments: