Monday, January 15, 2007

Darned School Books

I'm having a extremely difficult time reading John Piper for a class at school right now. It seems (and this could be a poor judgment statement) that he is more interested in trademarking an idea and contributing something original (which in actuality is mostly borrowed from C.S. Lewis) then having a good theology. I've read two chapters of this book "When I Don't Desire God" and how many times do you think he has already made the statement, "God is most glorified when we are most satisfied in him" or talked about Christian Hedonism???? Yes, that is correct, about 10! This may sound harsh and I may just be in a crummy mood but there has been more than one occasion in these first two chapters when I have just thought to my self "this guy is full of *#($"

The only book worse than this one so far is "The Journey from Texts to Translations." I'm not sure I've ever read a drier book in my life.

God have mercy on my soul (and my attitude today)!!!

3 comments:

DougieB said...

(I can't stand John Piper either. It's gonna be ok.)

Anonymous said...

dude i just sold my copy of 'from texts to translations.' Ha!

Anonymous said...

make sure you get the new resurgence podcast where Gary Breshears says that Brian McLaren presented the systematic theology (in terms of style, method, and content) for the emerging church in "The Story We Find Ourselves In." what?!??!

Its interesting. I think he missed the point catastrophically in order to fit McLaren into academia/systematic theology, its so ironic its kind of funny at times. He's got some good points though, check it out.