Thursday, October 04, 2007

Cubs 0-1

I'm not going to blame Marmol for this one. Obviously he sucked it up, but he shouldn't have been in there in the first place. Piniella blew it! My friend John V. said it well in an email to me this morning:

"Can you please explain to me why Piniella, after letting Zambrano bat and not using a pinch hitter in the top of the 6th with the bases loaded, took him out of the game before the bottom of the 7th when he had only thrown 85 pitches??? Then Marmol comes in and serves up two runs and the game to the D'backs. I don't get that. I was a little surprised they let him bat there, but he was dealing on the mound. I'm just thinking that if you let him hit there then you're pretty much banking on him going at least 2 more innings unless he gets shelled."

That is a great point! Piniella's decision (after letting Zambrano bat in a bases loaded situation where the Cubs could have scored another run or two) was to try to save Zambrano's arm since he's pitching him again in Game 4, but how about this Lou? How about you focus on winning THE FIRST GAME!!!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

85 pitches? 100 pitches? Pitchers these days are sissies! In the old days pitchers use to pitch in both games of a double header. These guys need to suck it up!