Monday, August 21, 2006

Worship Music

This is an excerpt from the excellent book "Body Piercing Saved My Life: Inside the Phenomenon that is Christian Rock." Starting about sophomore year of college I have never been a big fan of worship music, I've actually never bought a worship album. It's just not really my thing. I think there is hordes of mediocre worship music out there, but i'm also not a worship music hater. I'm certainly not anti-worship (music) but I do agree that the songs can be theologically horrible and sexually confusing (especially the songs where I talk about being in love with Jesus or having Jesus hold me in his arms, etc. etc. But at any point, I found this amusing. For all the effort evangelical Christians try to "fight" homosexuality, their songs sure can be gay. Anyway, here goes. Enjoy.

Quentin Crisp once said, “A lifetime of listening to disco music is a high price to pay for one’s sexual preference.” I’m not saved and don’t think I ever will be, but if such a miracle were to take place, I can’t imagine anything worse than being forced to pay for my salvation by listening to worship music for the rest of my days.

Worship music is the logical conclusion of Christian adult contemporary music-not just unappealing but unbearable to anyone not already in the fold. Every song follows the same parameters. It opens gently, with tinkling arpeggios or synthesized harp glissandos that portend the imminence of something celestial in glacial 4/4 time. In the second verse, the band-invariably excellent players-soft-pedals in, gaining in volume to the bridge. And then the chorus, Heavens, the choruses. They could put U2 out of business for good, they’re so huge. Another verse. A middle eight. Then, a breakdown when the audience takes over singing. Another massive chorus. Fin.

This isn’t music to appreciate; it’s music to experience. People at a worship service close their eyes and, as ecstasy spreads across their faces, begin to rock rhythmically, arms out, mouthing the lyrics. It’s more than a little sexual and a tad uncomfortable if you’re setting next to an attractive person who’s been overcome by the Spirit.

Worship tunes tend to evince an adolescent theology, one that just can’t get over how darn cool it is that Jesus sacrificed himself for the world. Moreover, it’s self-centered in a way that reflects evangelicalism’s near-obsession with having a personal relationship with Christ. It’s ME Jesus died for. I just gotta praise the Lord.

The Jesus of worship music is a mentor, a buddy, a friend whose message is easily distilled to a simple command: praise me. Not “feed the poor, clothe the naked, visit the prisoner.” Simply thank Him for His gift to YOU (and make sure to display copyright information at the bottom of the screen so royalties can be disbursed.)

All of which I could bear, or at least imagine defending, if all the songs didn’t sound the same.


10 comments:

Agent B said...

Man...I just gotta read this book.

Gentry's review of it a while back got me. Now this.

I never liked worship music either. Except the fact that I actively participated in it as a bass player (& stick player) for years. I mean hey, it was a gig. I just never owned any CDs or anything.

I was sorta confused by my involvement is that it was a love/hate thing.

Anyone got a copy they'd lend me in TX?

Chris: "The Homeless Guy(in NYC)" said...

Hi Dustin,

This is Chris(nyc). I put you on my new blog.

How are you? E-mail me!!

Chris

g13 said...

yeah b,

shoot me your address on gmail and i'll send my copy to you. rest assured the postage will be paid.

g

Anonymous said...

A few years ago I may have agreed wholeheartedly with this excerpt, but there is more music that is being written for churches that are less about emotions and more about God. Just to balance the argument a bit. It's not perfect, but what else should we do. Maybe some good theologians need to learn to write music and some good musicians need to be better theologians (enter crowder).

I do have to agree that there is something missing in modern worship music.

But then again, we could say the same thing about a lot of sermons as well.

maybe we need to spend less time learning better ways to do church, and learn better how to be the church, realizing that the church isn't perfect, only through the blood of Jesus is it so.

Just some random thoughts.

Anonymous said...

I can't really say that I look at that excerpt as a good argument so much as a rant from someone who just doesn't like worship music, which is fine. As far as it being "not just unappealing but unbearable to anyone not already in the fold", I wouldn't argue that. My question is, is that wrong? I think writers of worship music would readily admit they're "preaching to the choir". If they try to argue it's appealing to the masses, they're view is unrealistic at best.

What I see in this excerpt is someone who associates being a Christian directly with worship music, which turns him off to the whole thing. How does this happen? Probably when Christians who won't or don't know how to talk about or live out their faith lean on the "crutch" of the church. When they get questions about their God and beliefs, they just say "hey, come to church with me" (or worse yet, offers him/her a worship cd to listen to) and hope their friend figures it all out. This, then, speaks to another potential problem with the church, which is the worship-through-music-only mentality that seems to permeate many churches, even though none would admit it.

Is worship music "adolescent theology"? Yeah, in most cases. But again, is that really wrong? As to the "sexually confusing" argument, I think that's a reach. Are two brothers hugging or saying "I love you" sexually confusing? Or a father "embracing" his son/daughter? I know that's oversimplifying it, but I think that argument comes more from a dislike for worship music in general. The part about the "same parameters" of worship music was hilarious!

Dustin, is it strange that I post briefly on my blog about once a week, but then write essays in the comments on your blog? Probably not considering my blog is so boring.

- John V

Dustin said...

hi john, you're wrong. sorry.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for letting me know.

JV

David M. Jarrett said...

As I read again, I think that the excerpt is overgeneralizing. It would be just like me to say that all sermons are theologically weak because some of them are. There are a lot of newer songs coming straight from scripture.

Maybe we should just say in general about the whole of church that we need to be better theologians, not just the musicians. Sorry, I take exception, I am one.

David M. Jarrett said...

But I can't say that I agree with John either.

Dustin said...

yeah, there's no question Dave, we do all need to be better theologians. And the fact that a guy who is outside of the church picked up on these things makes me realize it all the more! Even he can see it! But the worship music he critiques is definitely just one example of the many things we need challenged on in the church. I took this as a challenge to my preaching as well. It definitely makes me want to be more theologically sound.