Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Westbound Day One











Today was our first days travel to mecca (Portland). We woke up around 4am to get a start at the road at 5 so we could make it for visiting hours at Leavenworth Prison Camp to visit one of Kelli's friends Jerry. We arrived in great time and we were able to spend a few hours chatting with him about his past and about his recent conversion to Jesus. It was exciting to see someone's life being changed right before our eyes. He really has a desire to do something with his life once he gets out. I just realized today again how disconnected people in prison are from everything. I can't imagine getting adjusted to regular life again. His biggest battles will come once he gets out. I'm hoping he makes it though. He has a very difficult road ahead of him. I feel bad for the guy but I know he has accepted responsibility for what he has done and seems to be very positive about his future and what he wants to do with his life so I guess I shouldn't. I don't even know the guy very well but it was hard to just leave him and go back to living as normal knowing that's he can't leave, has no air conditioning, and has to eat prison food. Poor guy, we'll be praying for him and I think we're going to send him a bunch of books.

After Leavenworth we drove about 3 more hours to Salina where we decided it was time to stop for the night which is where we are now. We're just laying here watching Seinfeld and gearing up to drive to Ft. Collins tomorrow. Only about 7 hours to get there so it should be pretty easy. We'll get a chance to meet Doug B (which I recently found out stands for Blocksma) and his wife Liz.

3 comments:

Chris: "The Homeless Guy(in NYC)" said...

Hi Dustin,

Do you read these comments?

Chris(nyc friend)

Fishcop said...

enjoy the scenery

Dustin said...

i sure do Chris. Once i'm not on the road anymore i will drop you a line on your blog. i don't have much time right now. talk to you soon