Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Pounding Pavement

I'm taking a break from walking around and looking for a job. Crap. I really had a good run without a job. I forgot how awful it is to try and find one. Double crap. Even Starbucks doesn't want me. Maybe I should start not putting my college degree on the applications. A B.A. in Preaching doesn't seem to impress the folks much! Just a side not, A large dark cloud has just formed over my head as I'm sitting outside the venue who just gave me the, "we'll give you a call garbage." I think I might get rained on.

In other news, Kelli started her job today, I have my seminary orientation tomorrow, and we move in on Friday. Things are really coming together, oh yeah, except that job thing. Trying to find a job is a very humbling experience, no doubt about it. Maybe I should go across the street to Starbucks competitor Peets Coffee and give it a whirl. I wish I could get a job at a bookstore. Turned in a few of those apps too. On Barnes and Nobles I thought about putting, "Midstate All Conference Basketball Selection" in the awards category under schooling but thought that might not be relevant. I wish I would have been in more legitimate organizations through high school like, "Bookseller club" or something. That might impress them. The only legitimate thing on my application was that I worked at a library in college for a semester with crazy Leslie Starasta. At least I was around books right? Anyone know of any jobs in Portland???

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

dude... talk to Chris (our associate) about Borders. The fact that you read like crazy and even write copy for books would almost guarantee you a job. His interview was mostly "What are you listening to?" and "What are you reading?"

Beyond that, drop an email to Donovan Mattole (on the directory)- he's a hiring guy for Nautilus just over the river in Vancouver.
Chip is also a manager @ Target...

:)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the link to Peterson's comments. Good stuff. I'm hoping you'll blog a little about your orientation. I remember you telling me at one of USF's orientations that someone you talked with at Western said their orientation would be lots of fun (or something like that, I can't remember the exact words). I'm curious how the two will compare to each other.

Between and Becoming said...

We are right there with you with the job thing, Dust.

And I swear to you, my Father says to leave off your college education on applications for jobs in retail, the trades, etc., We didn't believe him and after months of being unemployed, Brian left off his college education for home depot and they hired him almost on the spot and he didn't even live in the same state yet. food for thought.

Melissa said...

Oh yes. I am the choir and you are preaching to me. I actually just posted a note on myspace about this very subject. Did I mention that Chris and I miss you two sooooo much?

Fishcop said...

I say go for the TOP -- Powell's Bookstore on Burnside. You might could even get a position in the Christianity section since that is your speciality.