Friday, December 05, 2008

List December #5


TOP 10 CARTOONS OF YESTER-YEAR (1980'S)



GUEST LIST CONTRIBUTOR - DEVIN

Cartoons were the best! Even though my parents tried to put the kibosh on some my cartoon viewing ventures, i was sometimes still able to sneak a peak at the "bad" ones (smurfs, he-man, et). I am including them on my list even though i didn't get to watch to many episodes.

I also thought it was interesting that as i was re-remembering these cartoons, their themes songs reemerged unscathed from the archives of my brain. This is probably one of the reasons that i sometimes have a hard time memorizing stuff for school - it's because my brain is full of 1980's cartoon themes songs, baseball stats, and other useless information.

Here is my list.

10. THE JETSONS - "meet george jetson, his boy elroy..." Elroy?



9. HE-MAN AND THE MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE - This was one of the "not allowed's". Supposedly it was too scary for me to watch. Then again, reading rainbow used to give me nightmares...

">

8. CHIP AND DALE RESCUE RANGERS - "ch ch ch chip and dale rescue rangers, ch ch ch chip and dale when there's danger..." What kind of sicko thought it would be a good idea to call a kid's cartoon chip n' dale?



7. THE FLINTSTONES - Seems like this show was on forever. Does anybody remember when they switched out the old barney for the new barney...their voices sounded nothing alike. I was pissed.



6. GI JOE'S: A REAL AMERICAN HERO - I almost joined the army because of this cartoon.



5. THE SMURFS - Another banned cartoon in my house. Not sure why... Maybe they would be higher on the list if i had been able to watch them more...



4. DUCKTALES - I watched this cartoon almost everyday after school. I loved it when uncle scrooge would swim around in his big tower room of gold coins. He was so dang rich!



3. TRANSFORMERS - Whoever thought of cars and trucks and things like that transforming into fighting machines is a genius. I think this is one of the best intro songs ever.



2. GUMMI BEARS - I loved this show! i especially loved it when things were getting a little bit out of control and then one of the gummi bears would drink the gummi juice. Good and passionate intro song too.



1. TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES - This cartoon is the best ever. I wasn't allowed to watch this one either, but i kept watching it and getting in trouble...then my parents just gave up. Raphael was my favorite. "Heroes in a half shell, turtle power!"



Thoughts? What's on your top 10?

14 comments:

Dustin said...

wow, fantastic list! a lot of fun watching through all of those!

Aaron Stewart said...

Ummmm Thundercats isn't on there, it really should be.

Devin and Larissa Vaughn said...

It's is funny to watch these after so many years. It makes me realize that I never really listened to the words of the theme songs. They're really great. Especially the Duck Tails line that says, "there's a stranger out to find you". I love what went into the subconscious minds of little kids of the 80's. No wonder we're all ... well actually, we turned out alright. Thanks Dev. Makes me want to reminisce by watching some full episodes.

devin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
devin said...

whoa - i just watched the thundercats intro on youtube...i totally remember it. this must have been another banned cartoon.

John V said...

Pretty good stuff. Agree that the Thundercats should be on there. Transformers will always be #1 in my book. And can I get some love for Voltron?? That was a great cartoon.

Dustin said...

ooooh Voltron! I forgot about that one. I had the huge Voltron action figure as a kid. loved it.

John V said...

Unlike the new Barney (which also didn't sit too well with me), I thought Voltron made a change for the better when they went from all the space cars to the 5 "lions" that formed Voltron. Good move.

Garrett said...

C'mon, Devin, Donald didn't swim in the money; it was their uncle, Scrooge McDuck. Donald was in the navy and that's why Huey, Dewey, and Louie were with Scrooge. What next, are you going to say that Scrooge had a lucky pog instead of dime?

jersnyder2 said...

I am not sure how you justified putting He-man above the GI Joes. That just doesn't seem right.

devin said...

garrett - jeez. can i get a mulligan. you're right. it was scrooge. what was i thinking!?

jeremy - you're probably right too. i am switching them.

Anonymous said...

Voltron, Hong Kong Phooey, Thundercats, GI Joe, Space Ghost, Snorks (granted a poor man's Smurfs), TopCat, and I loved Huckleberry Hound.

Nightmare said...

Sweet. I totally forgot about the gummy bears and I loved that show!

Nightmare said...

Sweet. I forgot about the gummy bears. I loved that show. Childhood memories are nice. thanks for that.