Tuesday, December 16, 2008

List December #14

Top Fifteen Comedies of All Time

In the past few days I've been able to catch up on some movies that I have never seen like The Godfather, Good Will Hunting, and The Usual Suspects. I'm hesitant to even mention that I still haven't seen Braveheart, Goodfellas, or Field of Dreams.

Why?

Honestly, I've simply grown up watching comedies almost exclusively. I've changed a lot but when I was younger I didn't want to watch a movie that was as bleak as the realities of life I saw around me. I wanted an escape and I found it in comedies (plus my attention span is short). Maybe you can relate. So here are my top ten comedies of all time.

15. Tommy Boy











14. Wayne's World











13. The Jerk











12. Fletch











11. I'm Gonna Git You Sucka











10. Blazing Saddles











9. Major League











8. Office Space












7. National Lampoons Christmas Vacation











6. Caddyshack











5. Ferris Bueller's Day Off











4. Austin Powers











3. Dumb and Dumber











2. Coming to America











1. Airplane











A few honorable mentions:
Dirty Work (one of the most watched comedies in college but not worthy of a list)
Anchorman (one of the best newer comedies)
Zoolander (is there anyone who hasn't done the Magnum?)
Billy Madison (not as funny now, but a great movie in college).

7 comments:

devin said...

tommy boy 15th? how can i even take your stupid list seriously after that?

Dustin said...

where would you have Tommy Boy?

Mandy said...

I'm so glad to know I'm not the only human being who has never seen Braveheart.

John V said...

"where would you have Tommy Boy?" How about not on the list. Farley & Spade made a habit of starring in average comedies.

Dustin said...

uh oh, we may have a list war being started here.

devin said...

john v. - are you serious? tommy boy is a classic of my era.

could it be that you don't understand tommy boy - that some of the jokes may have gone over your head?

John V said...

Devin - I mean no disrespect, but I just don't think Tommy Boy even sniffs a list of All Time greatest comedies. Again, emphasis on the words "All Time". Tommy Boy might get thrown in a Top 20 of the 90's, which was my era too. Farley and Spade couldn't even hold a candle to Jimmy Fallon on SNL. (I'm kidding with that one. Just a jab at Dustin.)

Dustin - Where's the original National Lampoon's Vacation?? Has there ever been a more disturbing/hilarious line than cousin Vicki defending her French kissing ability with, "Yeah, but Daddy says I'm the best at it."

I'd also have to throw Groundhog Day out there as a sleeper. That's one of the few DVDs we own that I've watched multiple times. Pretty funny stuff.

Dustin, when our match-up is over, I'll give you a top 10 reasons why The Griese Spoon never had a chance to beat Sensei in Gridiron's championship game.