Monday, November 06, 2006

Orthodox Sexism

We have a winner! This is currently the most ignorant thing Mark Driscoll has ever said! It's always a tight competition because we've been getting so much it's hard to decide. But this is one of the most asinine quotes to date. I have always thought of Mark as a very smart man but being smart and being wise are two very separate things and unfortunately this is not being either. I just keep asking myself, "Where are his elders?" Isn't anyone reading this and saying, "Mark, dude, this is completely unnecessary and is just ripping down the body of Christ." But then again, I guess proper sexual roles is part of Mark's nine non-negotiables for orthodoxy so this ridiculousness would be par for the course. Apparently part of the non-negotiable of proper sex roles is for pastors wives to keep in shape so the pastor can have satisfactory sex. Sure I'm putting these words in his mouth but come on. Is this really a sex issue? Aren't there just as many fat pastors whose wives don't want to sleep with them?

"Most pastors I know do not have satisfying, free, sexual conversations and liberties with their wives. At the risk of being even more widely despised than I currently am, I will lean over the plate and take one for the team on this. It is not uncommon to meet pastors’ wives who really let themselves go; they sometimes feel that because their husband is a pastor, he is therefore trapped into fidelity, which gives them cause for laziness. A wife who lets herself go and is not sexually available to her husband in the ways that the Song of Songs is so frank about is not responsible for her husband’s sin, but she may not be helping him either."

I wish I had the spirit of generosity that Brian McLaren has when this sort of stuff is said but this just ticks me off. We've all said really dumb things, and hopefully Mark will come to the realization that this is dumb, i'm afraid otherwise however.

I do want to make this clear however, whatever team you are taking one for, I don't want any part of.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow. maybe it's because minister's don't make enough money for us to join the local gym. haha, just kidding!

Agent B said...

ah-HAHAHAHAHAHA.

I can't believe this is real!

Aaron Stewart said...

I think a lot of his practical advice was good but I agree with you Dustin, where are the elders and friends that are surrounding this lone pastor who is so prone to sexual deviation?

Helen said...

Thanks for pointing out how inappropriate Mark Driscoll's comments about pastors' wives are. I blogged my own opinion here.

People against Fundamentalism is organizing a protest to be held November 19 outside one of Mark Driscoll's church campuses. If you will be in the Seattle area that day and want to participate you can find more information here:

Take Action on Nov 19: Mark the Misogynist and Mars Hill

Dustin said...

Hey Helen,
While I am also disturbed at Driscoll's recent statements, i'm not sure protesting his church is the best thing we can do here. I do not see that as being productive or really proving anything. It seems it usually has the exact opposite effect in that it makes people want to believe in what we are protesting more!