Tuesday, November 14, 2006

OH NO, A TEN PAGE PAPER

I'm excited to be taking an intensive class with Millard Erickson in January. The only problem is, all the work has to be done BEFORE the class! Ahhh. Each of the four days we have to turn in a 5-10 page paper analyzing the current theological issue discussed that day.

Thankfully turning out a 10 page paper isn't the difficulty it used to be. It can be done in a few sittings. Kelli and I were thinking back to high school tonight when our senior year culminated in the writing of a 10 page paper and we all thought that it was impossible! She remembered how we had to make notecards (for us it was 50) to document our research and collect information and then we would use them to write our paper! The dreaded 10 page paper was feared as soon as you heard the rumor of it your freshmen year. Funny to look back and think how easy things are that used to be difficult. Now we have to write 40 pages in a week! Anyway...

The four issues are as follows:
1. Methodology: How Postmodern should our christian faith and our theology be?
2. Doctrine of God: How much does God know about the future (Open Theism)
3. Doctrine of Salvation: What about those who never get a chance to hear the gospel?
4. Doctrine of the Trinity: What is the real relationship between the Father and the Son?

These are obviously not new issues but are four issues Erickson picked to be of crucial importance today. In writing these papers we are to read certain journal articles and respond to the articles and other sources. So basically I guess I won't be having a Christmas break! I feel good about it however because it's a cool thing to get to take a class with the dude that is a theological giant!

The other good news is that I turned in my papers today to confirm that I tested out of both semesters of Greek! Well, I didn't really test out of them. The professor had me explain my Greek experience and afterwards said, "well, i don't really see a need to administer the test so I'll just sign off on your papers!" Praise God from whom all blessings flow! (in singing voice)
I shouldn't have to take it however after five semesters! How much I still know is debatable but I did my time!

2 comments:

Aaron Stewart said...

You got yourself out of taking Greek? You're a stud.

Happietee said...

Man, I am with you on the whole.... "10 page papers seemed a lot harder in high-school" idea. I am so overwhelmed writing papers right now, but I am also happy to be writing about issues, as you are, that allow me to express my views, passions, questions regarding theology, and questions regarding existence of community. I would not trade my papers now for that stupid 25 pg. senior paper comparing the life, works, and criticism of John Steinbeck and Theodore Dreiser for any amount of money.... yaya for college thought. I'm tired though...... my brain is smokin'!