Sunday, January 22, 2006

Wine, Spears, and Bowling Balls

This weekend Kelli and I made our rounds. On Saturday afternoon we went to the Florida Estates Winery in Land O Lakes for a wine "festival" and tasting. I use the word "festival" losely as it was basically in a guys backyard. The wine was fairly good however and we enjoyed ourselves. Our favorite was probably the Plantation Spice which they gave us chocolate to eat with. It was a very good dessert wine. I am a big red wine fan but the stuff they have was fair, but not overwhelming.

Saturday night we went to see "End of the Spear" with John and Taryn. If you are not familiar, this is the story of the Jim Elliot family who were missionaries to a remote tribe in the Amazon. I thought the movie was excellent. It was very powerful to hear if from the perspective of the tribe and not just the missionaries. I also really liked the fact that the name of Jesus was never mentioned in the film. You might wonder why I liked that and it is basically because they were the perfect example of indigenous missionaries. They used what the tribe already knew about "God" and put it in their language. I thought it was phenomenal. I imagine the fundies are all up in arms however, but if that is the case they have missed the point of the movie. Well worth seeing.

Today after church we went bowling where I dominated all but one. I scored a 167 and a 151. Grant beat me with a score of 167 and 152. How do you like that? It was supposed to be 2 hours of bowling for 8 dollars but what they didn't tell us is that it was also the same time as 76 different birthday parties for children. At one point they made everyone stop bowling and line up on the lanes so everyone could dance. Not just one song however, but THREE songs totalling 17 minutes of time we could have been bowling. They stole our money! John V got reprimanded by the middle aged woman leading this dance of idiocy as even the kids were hoping to the god they worship that she wouldn't make them do another song. But oh no, how can you stop with the Hokey Pokey? It natually leads into the Electric Slide and the Chicken Dance. Kill me.

3 comments:

Mandy said...

I have been wondering how End of the Spear is. They had a showing of it at the National Missionary Convention back in November, but it was way too late at night for me to stay up for it. I absolutely love Elisabeth Elliot, so I've been looking forward to seeing it.

DougieB said...

eek.

also, you should know that IE is throwing your sidebar below your main column of content for some reason. Just another reason i despise microsoft....

Dustin said...

thanks for the heads up Doug. My media player was too wide I guess for IE.