Monday, January 09, 2006

King Kong


Kelli and I went to see the long awaited 3 hour 7 minute King Kong last night. I went in to the film open minded and excited about what I had heard so far although it was somewhat mixed reviews. On the way out the first thing out of my mouth was, "well, that was terrible." Terrible it was. The length was the main problem. It would have been a better movie had an hour been cut out of it. Peter Jackson truly needs an editor! Every scene was drug out to enormous length, especially the fight scenes on the island. Seriously, how long did Kong and that dinosaur fight? I could have gotten up and peed, drove somewhere, had a beer, come back to the theatre, peed again and those things would still be going at it.

Not to mention you can only take so many stupid glares between the Kong and the girl before you say to yourself, "this is idiotic." The most idiotic thing about this relationship is that the girl never said one thing to anyone else. All she yelled was "nooooooooo" as everyone was trying to kill this beast (rightfully so, i wouldn't want to die either). She never pleaded with anyone saying, "this thing saved my life, it's not bad, etc." It was simply a "nooooooo" over and over again. By the end, i was bored out of my mind and after seeing what's her face climb three levels on the top of the Empire State building just to give the ape what Kelli coins as "the look" I was ready for both of them to die. There is really only one word that comes to mind when I think of this film and that is bloated. Every scene was completely overdramatic and predictable. Every look, every shot was created to be of epic proportions and it just didn't work. And unfortunately I can't get that stupid look that the girl had with Kong out of my head! But after watching it in 67 separate scenes for 7 minutes each, i'm not sure how anyone can. I respect Peter Jackson and what he did for Lord of the Rings but this was a remake I would have wished they would have left undone. Other than that before the movie I saw a preview for Miami Vice. I'm sure that will be good, right?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey I'm with you bro. I feel asleep during the movie just for the same reason you mentioned above. The crazy thing was that Kristyn actually liked it!