Sunday, June 01, 2008

Shootin some bball outside of the school

Went and played a few hours of basketball today for the first time in what seems like 3 years. It was a blast to play again, but one thing I should have expected: pain. Lots of pain. I thought I was going to barf after the first game. That first time back always sucks so bad. It's funny though, while you're playing you're thinking to yourself "I'm never going to drink a soda again!" "No more beer" "No more pizza". All kinds of stuff like that was going through my head. Hopefully that will stick. I'm excited to play more this summer, I'd love to play once a week. It's also a lot of fun because it's a great group of guys who don't take the game or themselves too seriously which makes all the difference.

Another thing I realized today was pretty important. Don't picture yourself still being able to do the things you used to be able to do 10 years ago. That's a sucky lesson. You can't jump as high, you can't run as fast, and you certainly don't have the same stamina. I am only 28 but I feel like I'm 46. It's not that I was ever super awesome but at least then I could get up and down the court every time. Today, every time I had a fast break or had to get back on defense quick I had to take about 5 plays off! I hope this gets less painful and I stop coughing up phlegm from 1997. Frick I feel old.

I will say this: Ben Posedel had a sweet tear drop right over me which is just as impressive as his rap skills.

No comments: