Saturday, May 13, 2006

Poseidon




















Last night my mother was in town and wanted to see Poseidon while she was here. Kelli and I didn't really know anything about the movie and didn't have very high expectations from what we had heard about it. It was a pleasant surprise however. If I had to describe the film in a word it would be intense. I enjoyed the non-stop action of the movie and never really got bored.

There were a few scenes that were very disturbing and will stay with you. They show that people will do ANYTHING to preserve their own lives regardless of the consequences for other people. Very very disturbing. But it also shows there are some people amongst us who are willing to give their lives up for other people. What is the difference between these kinds of people? Why is one human a selfless hero while another can be completely selfish and do whatever is possible to save themselves? Strange.

As a person who has always had a fear of drowning and has never really liked water all that much after failing beginners swim lessons twice this film pretty much secured the fact that I will NEVER take a cruise. The scenes where they were underwater for long periods of time made me want to vomit. I would have died in 15 seconds. If you are also not a fan of water this movie will freak you out. I'm glad I saw it however, despite the disturbing things in the movie it was entertaining nonetheless.

5 comments:

Reel Fanatic said...

Good review, but I just had a different impression. .. I don't need a lot of character development in a disaster flick, but none? And, as they went on their quest for the surface, it was far too often just boring, boring, boring.

Dustin said...

yeah, there really was no character development. I wouldn't argue with that at all. I think what kept it intense for me throughout was my overwhelming fear of drowning.

bill said...

i appreciated the character development in the david blaine 2 hour special. that was scary. oh wait. no, that was just retarded. my bad.

but you liked the movie, huh? good to know. betsy and i have been waiting for something half-way decent to come out.

Dustin said...

you've got to admit though, holding your breath for 7 minutes??? that's impressive!

I tried to hold my breath in the pool today and didn't make it to 10 seconds.

He's no Criss Angel. http://www.crissangel.com/indexFlash.html

DJ Word said...

my concern for you as a movie goer continues to rise.

You have moved to the top of my prayer list.

If you like intensity check out the director of this film's earlier work, Das Boot (it is in German though). He used to combine insnsity and character development.

Also, there is this wonderful film from 1972 called the Posiden Adventure.