Thursday, May 11, 2006

Personal Update

As many of you know Kelli got laid-off from her job last Friday. In many ways this was an answer to prayer, an odd one, but an answer nonetheless. She was not happy at her job as many of you know and this was an easy way out. Unfortunately Kelli is making the majority of the salary since I work part time for a church, part time for a campus ministry in which I raise a small (very small) bit of support, and write cover copies for Thomas Nelson Publishers which has been great about getting me work (Thanks Kelsey). So obviously I am not making the kind of money that will pay our bills and therefore in two weeks we will pretty much be out of money and unable to pay our bills. In fact I would be surprised if any of you made less than I do. I make about ¼ of what I did in New York and basically haven’t pursued anything else because it gave me time to work on this book that I’m about 28,000 words into.

It’s a strange place to be. I’ve never been in a situation where I could not pay my bills before. I’ve been in tight spots but it’s always worked out somehow. Looking ahead however I have never known what it is like to not have any means of income and know the due dates for the bills are getting a little closer everyday. My parents knew this place and I guess everyone knows this place at some point in their life. It’s where all the “when we were just married we ate peanut butter on spaghetti for six months” stories come from. Well here comes our story!

I joked with Kelli earlier that we were going to have to move to Illinois to live with her parents while I worked with her brother on the railroad and she worked at Subway. Not the way I foresaw our future going.

But nonetheless we have a dream for the future and we are not letting it go. We can see God working in the background to bring these things together and maybe this is His way of getting us to hurry up a bit and not continue to wait around for everything to be perfect before we take a step of faith.

It’s hard to say what is going on or what is going to happen in the next few weeks. Things will definitely be tight financially and we have no idea how we will pay our bills at the beginning of the month or even pay rent but I am confident that God will provide for us like He has provided for us our entire lives even in times when I did not realize it. I guess this gives us the chance to recognize God’s work in our lives once more before we start making some even more important decisions about our future.

Please don't pity us. I hate pity! We've had it well for a while now and have been blessed by God in unbelievable ways. I'm certainly not complaining in any way, I just want to be able to pay bills and eat! So please pray for us!

2 comments:

Agent B said...

I know all too well what you're going through now. 19 months with nothing resembling a salary or steady income...and never been late on a bill. Ever.

And no, I don't hope you go through 19 months of this...

But if you're following the CEO on this deal (and you did say this was an answer to prayer) then all will be fine. Ask and you will receive...somehow.

Know this: your whole outlook on everything in life may change. And that might not be a bad thing.

You have my prayers. Hang on guys. This is where going gets good!

PS - and I swear my word verification is "lordgyj" - Lord God your joy...?

Anonymous said...

i will pray for you. please pray for me as i live in roughly $12,000/yr. i heart america.