Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Ben Harper - Both Sides of the Gun




















"I believe in a better way." Me too! And I think Jesus does as well. I can't help listening to this album and thinking about the Kingdom of God. I got chills watching Ben perform "Better Way" on Carson Daly last week seeing his emotion as he cried out for humanity. I have been listening to the first CD of his double disc for the last four weeks almost everyday and it's beautiful. I've always loved Ben Harper's acoustic songs and this is some of the best he's recorded. I got to attend his cd release party when Diamonds on the Inside came out. As a guy who has seen a few hundred shows I have to say that this one ranked up in the top five easily. If you have a chance to see his live show, GO! And if you haven't listened to Both Sides of the Gun make sure you check it out. This is one of the best records I've heard this year.

2 comments:

drew moser said...

I'm jealous...I've yet to see Harper live. I haven't purchased the new album yet, but what I've heard is incredible. It's good to know you liked it.

DougieB said...

I've also really enjoyed this album - but have you read any popular media reviews of it? One of which nearly drove me nuts, complaining that Harper was only really good when he was heartbroken and angry, and that until he stopped recording songs about love and life in a positive light the songs wouldn't be as good as they were.

To be honest, it gives me hope that Ben can write songs with a positive slant, because i seem to associate a lot of the depressed time of my life with his earlier music, and dammnit, if he can cheer up so can i!