Wednesday, February 27, 2008

San Diego - Day #2

Yesterday was a pretty good day. Erwin Mcmanus was great in the first session. I find that he is inspiring and also discouraging (in a, I suck as a pastor compared to this guy kind of way). Got to briefly hook up with my friend Eric Bryant yesterday. It was good to see him and I'm excited to finally read his book.

Also, Brian Lowery hooked up with us yesterday as he is here with Christianity Today. Good having him as a part of our group.

The worship here has kind of thrown me off a little bit. Bob has covered this feeling in more detail but it's been a while since I've seen smoke machines in worship and I would like to keep it that way!

This morning we went to a Bible Study with Gordon Fee at 7:30am and it was great. I will blog more about what he said later but you just can't beat the wisdom that comes with age. He's truly a wise man with lots to teach. I hold him in high regard and could listen to him teach all day.

Today is going to be fantastic as we get Chuck Colson in about an hour. Going to a workshop with Roger Olson this afternoon and someone else I can't remember. This blog post kind of sucks as far as detail. Sorry, hopefully better stuff later.

I will say this though, normally as pastor's conferences I feel really self-conscious and a little out of place but I feel quite a bit of peace here this time. Maybe it's the crew I'm with, maybe I'm a little more mature than last time (Catalyst I think?), or maybe this is just a better conference, I'm not sure, but I feel quite good and am truly enjoying our time here. I think Seminary has had quite a bit to do with that as well. That experience has really shaped my critical thinking ability in a positive way and has helped me grow in confidence as a pastor. I'm very thankful for my experience at Western and the challenging nature of Seminary. The man who says Seminary is worthless, is speaking more of himself than Seminary. I have realized that for certain. It is what you make of it, and I think an article about that very subject is in order soon.

No comments: