Friday, February 15, 2008

Cheating Cheaters and the Fans Who Continue to Cheer

I'm not sure how I feel about Senators getting involved in professional sports but I suppose much like corporate business sometimes you cannot just leave everyone to their own devices. Especially since, after all, this is a billion dollar business. One thing from this article that I did not realize:

"Belichick's admission that he had been taping signals since he became New England's head coach in 2000. Belichick reportedly told Goodell that he thought he was within the rules to tape other team's signals as long as the information wasn't used in the game at hand."

I did not know he had admitted cheating since 2000. But Goodell seems like he is pretty anxious to sweep this under the rug so maybe it is a good thing that Specter is looking for a little better explanation of the tapes being destroyed. I still haven't heard good reasoning for doing such other than what I imagine is simply trying to wish it would all go away that one of the league's best teams has been cheating for 8 years and have won multiple championships while doing such. But before I make the Patriots out to be Satan, another question arises, mainly, how many other teams are doing this exact same thing that didn't get caught? Surely the Patriots cannot be alone in this right?

I wonder how I would react if the Bears were to be caught cheating for the last 8 years. (First, I would be disappointed with how little cheating helped them). How do you recover from that as a fan and still desire to support your team? I guess you could live in ignorance, not talk about it and try to put it behind you, but it would be tough to live with. In that regard I find the sudden silence of Patriots fans interesting, but maybe they are just in denial or disbelief, I don't really know. But this raises bigger questions about how you root for anyone in professional sports anymore knowing that everyone is a cheater, or abuses dogs, or beats women, or has a drug problem, or uses steroids, the list goes on and on.
Is denial the only way we can continue to be sports fans?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When it comes to humanity, I believe that there is nothing left that is pure or holy. And the truth, well, it can be found only in one place. The longer I live I question the hearts of man and the integrity of it...even my own. In further regards to your post, man has even discarded integrity in the lax times. http://joeydavis.typepad.com