Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Resolutions

These are from a man named Clyde Kilby who I have never heard of but got from John Piper's book The Pleasures of God.

Read these slowly and thoughtfully, they're fantastic.

1. At least once every day I shall look steadily up at the sky and remember that I, a consciousness with a conscience, am on a planet traveling in space with wonderfully mysterious things above and about me.

2. Instead of the accustomed idea of a mindless and endless evolutionary change to which we can neither add nor subtract, I shall suppose the universe guided by an Intelligence which, as Aristotle said of Greek drama, requires a beginning, a middle, and an end. I think this will save me from the cynicism expressed by Bertrand Russell before his death, when he said: “there is darkness without, and when I die there will be darkness within. There is no splendour, no vastness anywhere, only triviality for a moment, and then nothing.”

3. I shall not fall into the falsehood that this day, or any day, is merely another ambiguous and plodding twenty-four hours, but rather a unique event, filled, if I so wish, with worthy potentialities. I shall not be food enough to suppose that trouble and pain are wholly evil parentheses in my existence but, just as likely, ladders to be climbed toward moral and spiritual manhood.

4. I shall not turn my life into a thin straight line which prefers abstractions to reality. I shall know what I am doing when I abstract, which of course I shall often have to do.

5. I shall sometimes look back at the freshness of vision I had in childhood and try, at least for a little while, to be, in the words of Lewis Carroll, the ‘child of the pure unclouded brow, and dreaming eyes of wonder.”

6. I shall not demean my own uniqueness by envy of others. I shall stop boring into myself to discover what psychological or social categories I might belong to. Mostly I shall simply forget about myself and do my work.

7. I shall open my eyes and ears. Once every day I shall simply stare at a tree, a flower, a cloud, or a person. I shall not then be concerned at all to ask what they are, b but simply be glad that they are. I shall joyfully allow them the mystery of what Lewis call their “divine, magical, terrifying, and ecstatic” existence.

8. I shall follow Darwin’s advice, and turn frequently to imaginative things such as good listerature and good music, preferably, as Lewis suggests, an old book and timeless music.

9. I shall not allow the devlish onrush of this century to usurp all my energies but will instead, as Chalres Williams suggested, “fulfill the moment as the moment.” I shall try to live well just now because the only time that exists is now.

10. If for nothing more than the sake of a change of view, I shall assume my ancestry to be from the heavens rather than from the caves.

11. Even if I turn out to be wrong, I shal bet my life on the assumption that this world is not idiotic, neither run by an absentee landlord, but that today, this very day, some stroke is being added to the cosmic canvas that in due course I shall understand with joy as a stroke made by the Architect who calls himself Alpha and Omega.

5 comments:

Tyler said...

I heard John Piper is the C.S. Lewis for the calvinists.

Dustin said...

that's funny. I've never heard anyone verbalize that before. But I guess, maybe.

There is certainly Piper's calvinistic thread running through The Pleasure of God as you would expect from someone who has adopted that theological model. This book certainly has it. Although I disagree with his conclusions at some points, such as God's pleasure in election I do appreciate his emphasis (and for that matter, Calvinists emphasis) on the glory of God. But beyond that I typically am not all that enthused by Piper's books. To me, they pretty much all say the same exact thing, "God is most glorified in us when we're most satisfied in him." Pretty much the thesis of every book he has written. Kind of getting old!

Anonymous said...

do you read cs lewis at all? i'm reading "weight of glory" right now...it's really good

Dustin said...

i've read a majority of CS Lewis stuff. I think The Great Divorce was my favorite. I'm not sure i've read the Weight of Glory however.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting those. I copied that list into my journal a few years ago and it's a good reminder again.