Friday, April 21, 2006

What is all the hype...

with the Arctic Monkeys? Today I received a Blender magazine (which I get for free by the way, i would never waste my money on this filth); and on the front it says, "Best Band of 2006; Arctic Monkeys." What the *$#&? There's a lot of year left! Then inside I was even more surprised when I saw this headline:

"The World's Greatest Rock N Roll Band: Arctic Monkeys."

What? Can someone explain that to me? They've put out one decent album that their company has spent bazillions marketing to every teenage around the world and everyone is losing their heads! I don't think I have to give you the reasons why they aren't the Greatest Rock N Roll Band in the world. That statement is bizarre beyond any sort of belief! They are another band following suit in the dance rock resurgence that we are unfortunately experiencing. I think they have a lot of potential and I think they have talent but can we wait until they prove themselves a little bit before we start throwing around the "Greatest Rock N Roll Band in the World" stuff? There is really nothing on the album that hasn't been done, they just do what has already been done really well. I don't want to discredit this band or their album because I enjoy it but I don't think it warrants all this hype.

Here is what they have going for them in terms of why their record company is putting a ton of money in them.
1. They're young so the record company can make money from them for a long time.
2. Junior High Girls probably love them because they are from the UK and half-way decent looking.
3. They can play their instruments and the lead singer has a cool voice and a lot of confidence.

Just for the record these characteristics could also be used of any boy band that came out around the same time as the Backstreet Boys.

So I for one am not buying all this hype. As we know record companies pay radio stations to get their artists songs on the radio which is why radio is so horrific to listen to. The more money you pay, the more you can get all the Ashley Simpson and Nickelback songs on the radio the company could ever want and actually try to make people believe it is good music, which sadly works pretty well! All I can wonder is how much their record company is paying Blender to say these absurdly blown up statements about this band.

10 comments:

DougieB said...

sounds par for the course of normal mainstream music media - it really to me is decent music that just happens to be from the UK - translation: unique! imported! with an accent! you should buy it!

But, it's the same shit that was going around when they declared Franz Ferdinand as the saviours of modern rock as we know it.

i like FF as much as the next guy, but, cmon. They should really come up with some new ideas to sell Magazines.

(sidenote: i have just recently found and fallen for all of the Built to Spill records. How the heck did i miss these guys?)

Dustin said...

good thoughts Doug. I remember the whole Franz Ferdinand thing pretty clearly! I also remember them being called Saviors of Modern Rock. Seems to be the same thing going on here. Super hype, decent records, and then on to the next Greatest Band in the World. I wonder who it will be?

I've only really heard one Built To Spill record. Which one would you suggest is a good starter???

bill said...

i have thought the exact same thing every time i see any article written about them. thank you for saying it.

they're good, but come on...

DJ Word said...

very good band.

Sorry.

You know they are great.

You are just pissed they are popular.

I know you liked these guys last weekend.

DougieB said...

there is a difference between liking them, and placing them next to led zeppelin in the annals (hehe) of rock history after a single album.

as for BTS - 'keep it like a secret' is probably regarded as their best, but, i really like 'there's nothing wrong with love', as well.

Anonymous said...

Rick, i'm sorry... i know you introduced these guys to me and our ipod artist list have strong parallels, but I'm with Dustin on this one... these guys are about as untalented and yet hyped as the Strokes. Popularity will only get them so far.

DJ Word said...

Strokes- good band
Arctic Monkeys- good band

I can agree with the assessment, but think Arctic Monkeys have a bit more going for them.Just cause the guys are decent looking , it is not a crime.

Unlike the Merchants of Indie Cool, I do not need to define myself by what I do not like or by not liking good music because it may be a bit overhyped or popular.

While I am not crowning these guys as the next saviors of British Rock- too many good bands out there, I think the potential for a 1st LP by a bunch of young guys is very high (higher than Oasis at the time).


Unlike most of the present overhyped bands, they are not retreading the 80s completely- see the Killers, Interpol, Franz Ferdi, Bloc Party, the Bravery, etc.

While not ready to put them into hallowed company, I am going to list some previously overhyped bands, many of whom have experienced such a backlash-

The Beatles
Nirvana
Pearl Jam
The Clash
U2
REM
the Cranberries
the Pixies
White Stripes

not every overhyped band ends up the Strokes, the Vines or Oasis (all good bands, BTW).

I am going to give it a bit more time before rushing to judgement. I always wait until the 2nd album to judge a bind. I am not like the press, the record companies and the Indie Snobs. I could care less about the hype machine, magazines, etc. I can make my own decisions.

btw Dustin, I bet you look good on the dance floor.

Dustin said...

i never said I didn't like the CD Rick, i said the enormous hype was uncalled for and absurd.

Please reread and then comment again about what I actually posted.

DJ Word said...

bastard blogger program. I had an eloquent response which is lost in cyberspace.

However, the jist is this. I was actually going off on Jon's inane comments (why I went after the Strokes comparison, see) calling them untalented and saying popularity will only get you so far (it worked for the Beatles).

I was looking at th ebig picture of overhyped is not a bad place to be in the pantheon.

However, you did strike a low blow comparing them to the BS Boys unless you think they were a good band with lots of potential (it was a funny line though).

The final comment was for you alone Dustin.

Dustin said...

Hey Jeff, just don't forget, the only difference between martyrdom and suicide is press coverage.