Thursday, April 20, 2006

The Mysteries of the Night

Last night was a horrible night for sleep:

12:32am - Kelli has a nightmare and starts screaming in her sleep. I calm her but she remembers nothing this morning.

3am - I awake to horrible itching on my shoulder and foot. I get up and go to the mirror and I have about 5 large bites on my shoulder and one on my foot. They burn and itch badly. Kelli awakes and sees the bites. I try to find the culprit that bit me. No sign of a spider and no sign of a mosquito. I try to forget about it and go back to sleep.

3:45am - I hear some buzzing in my ear and awake and turn on the light. I find nothing.

4:30am - I hear the buzzing again, turn on the light and this time find a small insect flying above our bed. It is much smaller than a mosquito but much bigger than a flea. It can fly and does once but looked like it was jumping several times. I crush him and laugh at his demise.

5:00am - I hear more buzzing in my ear (this might be contrived) and turn the light on again, this time Kelli feels bad that the insect has completely ignored her and helps me hunt. I find nothing and decide on her advice to go sleep in the living room (probably more so she can get some sleep than I).

5:05am-5:15am - I watch Sportscenter hoping that it will calm me down from all the chaos I have experienced. It does nothing of the sort so I turn it off and lay awake until around 6am.

8am - Kelli wakes me up and I want to die.

8:15am - I take a shower and look in the mirrow and the bites on my shoulder and foot have completely disappeared! What kind of insect bites just disappears a mere 5 hours later???

As you can see this past evening was quite a mystery. If anyone can help solve this mystery please comment. Are there any Floridians that know what kind of bug this might be? Is there any reason these bites would disappear so fast? I'm stumped.

UPDATE: Last night I was not woken up by any biting but I did get bit on the very tip of my pointer finger! Gosh that hurts! I think he was trying to figure out where he could bite me that would anger me the most. He found it!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

bed bugs???? oh no!

k

Dustin said...

those are all good guesses. i hope it's not bed bugs! That's nasty! My question would be, why aren't they biting Kelli. Whatever they are seem to just be feasting on me!

i hadn't thought of a biting fly! nice work detectives. i'll let you know if we find out anything. keep the guesses coming.

Dustin said...

it's funny you say that because i was actually angry that she wasn't being bitten last night so I started to bite her!

Brad and Lindy said...

Sounds like a mystery bug hunt for...Jack Bauer!

Anonymous said...

when i lived in melbourne beach, fl it was those no-see-ums that always got me... and jiggers during FL camping.

Fishcop said...

The most important statement in the story is that "Kelli awakes and sees the bites". If Kelli had not seen the bites I would assume that it was in you imagination. Since Kelli also saw the bites I'm assuming that what you saw was real with the exception that it really wasn't a bite.. instead it was skin irritation due to something like pollen. Were you outdoors in bush or grass earlier in the day? If you were that could example the insect attraction to you and the skin irritation if you have some kind of pollen on your skin.

Dustin said...

yes Johnny! that is a very important piece of info! that's funny.

Even weirder than the "bites" disappearing is that they came back later on in the day. They didn't itch anymore but they were just small red dots. I think they were probably from an insect now however that I got bit on my finger last night. I searched the room and may have found the culprit. There was a small spider up in the corner of the ceiling above my side of the bed. I also sprayed pretty well so I'm hoping this problem is done. I didn't do anything outside the day of, just the same old routine! Hard to say, we'll see if i continue to be eaten.