Thursday, December 31, 2009

Top Ten Favorite Moments of 2009

1. The Birth of Gram

The most beautiful and profound experience of my life. The birth was extremely emotional and exhausting for both of us (probably more her :). Something I will never forget.

Taking care of a kid can be ridiculously exhausting and can wear you out in every way. But it's also the coolest thing in the world. I love everything about him and he's totally worth it!






2. Graduating the M.Div program @ Western

Felt good completing this in three years. I loved my time there. I've heard several people say that Seminary is a waste of time.

Which typically means:

A. they went to a crappy Seminary.

or

B. they didn't do what it takes to make it meaningful. Like most other things, it is what you make of it. I think some people go into Seminary expecting it to do something for them it is incapable of doing.

There were plenty of frustrations along the way, but overall these three years were well worth it! I've only been away for one semester and I'm already pining to go back!


3. Buying a home.

Never thought we would be able to do this! Many thanks to a generous gift from Kelli's grandparents for a down payment that made this possible! After living in two studio apartments and a one bedroom, it's nice to have some space (especially with Gram).




It was however quite a bit of work (but mostly for Justin, Tom, Jason, Seth, Ben, Devin, Clay, Andrew, Julia, and anyone else that I'm missing right now!)



4. Climbing Mt. St. Helens

Mike Anders said it well when he said, "Had I known what all was involved with this, I probably would have said no." Amen Mike, amen.

Took about five days before it wasn't excruciating to go up a set of stairs!

Note to others: you should do a few other prep hikes before you take this one on!


5. Our trip to Lake Tahoe.

One of the perks of Kelli's Salvation Army job is getting to tag along to places where she has meetings!






6. Our trip to Bend, OR

Again, Kelli had a few days of meetings which meant I had a few days of tastings!









7. Our weekend in Seaside, OR

We spent a few days away on the beach in a room with a jacuzzi and a fireplace thanks to Kelli's hotel points!

8. Trip home to Illinois for baby shower.

Always nice to go back to Illinois and see family. Always very peaceful to go back to the small town.

9. Spring Break Week @ University of Washington

Kelli was working most of the time, and I was doing homework, but it was a nice time nonetheless. I was able to finish up the first season of Dexter.

10. Watching all 4 first round NCAA tourney games

I've always wanted to go to March Madness. This past year Garrett and I snagged tix to 10 hours full of basketball fun!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dustin, truly an amazing year!!
Dad