Friday, December 11, 2009

Best Movies of 2009

I will admit up front that I am not a "movie-guy". I don't see many movies during the year and know relatively nothing of directors, actors, producers, key grips, or otherwise.

So this is really just a list of the few movies I saw that I enjoyed. This list will actually show fairly well how many movies I haven't seen this year, seeing that I can't even think of 10!


1. District 9

Aliens. Enough said.
















2. Star Trek

Come on, it's Star Trek. Of course it's going to be good.
















3. Up

I love animated movies! I actually went to see Madagascar when it came out....alone. Yup, just me and 20 parents with their kids. Felt a little creepy, but what can you do?














4. The Hangover

Comedies are falling on hard time! Seriously, just look at the list of comedies that came out this year. Even the ones that showed promise (Year One) failed miserably. But The Hangover gives us a glimpse of hope that it is still possible to have a fresh premise for a comedy and execute it well.












5. Taken

Chadwick Hamilton said it well when he left after the movie was over and said, "I can't believe all that just happened."

Well said, a tad on the unbelievable side, but still exciting and suspenseful nonetheless.












6. Food, Inc.

Another needed food expose, in the same vein as Fast Food Nation (the book, not the movie). The food industry is a bleak, scary world!














7. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

Are the books better? Of course, a movie can never do a book justice. But I did enjoy this HP over the others I have seen.
















8. X-Men Origins: Wolverine
I know that A LOT of people thought this was a terrible movie. And maybe it was in some weird "movie-buff" type way that I am unaware of. But it entertained the crap out of me.















Movies that may make the list retroactively after I see them:

1. Sherlock Holmes
2. The Road
3. Inglorious Bastards
4. Funny People

Worst Movies of 2009:

1. Away We Go
Getting weary of "indie" movies where nothing actually happens.

2. Terminator Salvation
Sure, I saw it at midnight and was extremely tired, but this was a snooze-fest.

3. GI Joe: Rise of the Cobra
Terrible.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, C'mon. Away We Go was awesome. Awesome sound track, awesome couple surrounded by complete nuts... Yor problem is your cold, dead heart! Hold that Baby some more, then watch it again. You'll see.

michelle said...

X-Men was awesome. And I think Sherlock Holmes my have to be on your list somewhere, because I'm totally there!

jersnyder2 said...

You need to see Inglorious Bastards. It was my favorite movie he has done to date.

Thadd Sparrow said...

yup, GI Joe was horrible. thanks for being one of the few people to agree with me.

Tyler said...

What about Transformers 2. Even G.I.Joe was better than that!

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed The Hangover as much as anyone. Funny? yes Well executed? yes - Original? I am not so sure...

http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1915202

Dustin said...

Ha, that's funny, I hadn't seen that. Good point anon!

Tyler, you're right. Totally forgot about that one!

DougieB said...

I take serious umbridge with your inclusion of Wolverine and backhanding of Away We Go.

REALLY.

Away we go was funny, touching, and well paced with a fantastic soundtrack. I'm a guy who literally bought wolverine comic books this year and would readily admit that his movie sucked.

Dustin said...

how dare you take umbridge with me!

DougieB said...

UMBRIDGE!

(I've always wanted to use that word in scrabble.)

Chip Anderson said...

Have you read The Road? I want to like this movie because the book as amazing. But I am not sure if it will translate to the big screen.

DJ Word said...

Away We Go was a bit broad in its stereotyping to say the least.

Tyler said...

I don't care what any of you say, Away We Go has one of, if not the funniest lines in movies history in it and therefore it cannot be one of the worst movies for the year.

"Babies like to breathe and are good at hiding it. I put a pillow over a baby and I thought she wasn't breathing but then she was. She was sneaky. But I'll try again."