Tuesday, December 01, 2009

Favorite Beers of 2009

Ah, December 2nd and I'm already behind! I'll start with an easy one. I'm sure I've had more really good beers this year but need to start writing them down or something. These are just some memorable ones that I can think of! What did you enjoy this year?

Best Brewpub in Portland: Laurelwood
Once again Laurelwood has poured my favorite beers. They have consistent special offerings that are rarely a letdown. And if nothing looks interesting, there is always the Workhorse or the Free Range Red. Can never go wrong with those. I love this place.

Laurelwood Workhorse IPA
-This could be the best IPA i've ever had. Could drink it every day (but that wouldn't be healthy).

Laurelwood Double Oregon Hefeweizen



I'll be honest and admit that I've been a skeptic about Deschutes since I moved here. Didn't really care for most of their regular bottled beer. But a visit to Deschutes Pub in Bend changed all that. Plus they put out some great 22 oz. specials this year. Specifically:

Deschutes Abyss Imperial Stout

Deschutes Red Chair IPA

Deschutes Mirror Mirror Barleywine









Again, like Deschutes (probably more so), Full Sail's regular beers are pretty underwhelming. The Pale Ale is about the only thing I can drink. But their seasonals are great.

Full Sail Black Gold Imperial Stout
Everyone's trying their hand at a Bourbon Barrel Aged Imperial Stout (because apparently that's what all the critics love), but this was amazing. There was a two-bottle limit on purchases and unfortunately I made the mistake of only buying one. I think I liked this better than the Abyss quite honestly.

Full Sail Prodigal Sun IPA





Haven't had many beers from Firestone Walker, but the one's I've had on tap have been fantastic.

Firestone Walker DBA


Firestone Walker Union Jack








Can't shortchange the Lucky Lab since we meet there for our church gathering on Sunday. :) Honestly, there haven't been a lot of beers that have won me over at the Lab. I appreciate the always rotating taps and new offerings, but I feel like I'm disappointed a lot. That being said, two beers this year that I have really enjoyed there have been:

Lucky Lab Crazy Ludwig's Alt
Lucky Lab Barrel Aged Red Baron

This upcoming year I would really like to get my hands on some more beers from The Lost Abbey and Russian River. I've heard great things about both, but it's not poured at many places.

What beers did you like this year?

1 comment:

Gregory said...

in addition to your two, Lucky Lab's 'open bridge brown'

Fish Tale - Organic IPA