Friday, June 08, 2007

I have been wrestling with James 4:11-17 for the last few weeks for a sermon this Sunday at Evergreen and I've got to admit that studying this passage and thinking through the implications has been a lot like banging my head into a brick wall. I don't know why I've had such a difficult time with this text but it's been tough. I've only preached two other sermons out of James in my life and I remember feeling like that both other times as well. I wonder why that is. James is probably the most frustrating and difficult books I've ever preached out of. I don't know if it's because it's so practical that you're like, "ok, we'll he said it pretty good, how can I say it any better?" I can't figure it out. I would rather preach out of Lamentations! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

In other news, one day down, one day to go on a Theology of Money class taught by Randy Alcorn. It has been a quality class and extremely thought provoking. Randy is an excellent teacher and is very gifted in using illustrations to shed light on what he is talking about. When we walked toward the classroom we saw a book table outside and I thought, great, it's a theology of money class and they're going to try to make a few bucks off his books. But to my surprise (and to my own judgment) he had almost all of his books available and was giving them out for free! That was impressive.

The best part of the class is the fact that Randy isn't just teaching what he sees in the Bible, he's actually living what he is talking about. It's impossible to miss the sincerity by which he teaches. You can tell that he lives what he preaches and you've got to respect that. No matter what you think about his theology or about whatever you've heard about him, the dude truly is for real.

We had some great talks about materialism and asceticism today. I've never thought about this but Randy's take is that renouncing money doesn't do any good, for money is a neutral thing, it's the love of money that is evil. What good is it to renounce money? Wouldn't it be better to renounce love for money and give it all away to those in need? It's more selfish to renounce money and try to live in poverty then it would be to have some stuff and give money away! What good does it do for anyone that you give up money? I had never really thought about that before.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm a friend of Laurie's, aka jigidijig on xanga. She said I should check you out so, like a good girl, I am ;)

You said, "No matter what you think about his theology or about whatever you've heard about him, the dude truly is for real."

That's got me scratching my head because try as I might, I only have good experiences in relation to Randy Alcorn and his work.

Do you mean that there is a negative impression of Randy and his theology among you and those you work with?

Just real curious. Tell me to mind my beeswax if I'm out of line, but I'd really like to know what you were refering to.

Dustin said...

Hi Leanne,

That is a fair question! I have nothing but good things to say about Randy Alcorn after having taken his two day Theology of Money class. I think he is a tremendous communicator and a great Bible teacher. I think some people question his theology in regard to "rewards" in light of the book the Treasure Principle mostly because people ask the question, "Isn't being motivated by God's rewards in a future place kind of selfish?" He responded to this several times by talking about it only being one motivation in the thread of many other motivations in which the major one being we respond to God's grace by giving and being generous people. it is out of our gratitude that we give obviously, but he also does not think there is anything wrong with taking joy in knowing that God will reward us for our faithfulness in all areas of life which I think the Bible clearly teaches. I agree 100%.

I was a little hesitant at first with this but after hearing him explain it, it makes sense. I think it's when people take this out of context that they have problems with Alcorn's theology.

I got mixed reviews when I told people that i was taking a Randy Alcorn class. Some intellectual snobs which I usually disregard anyway responded as if they are in some way better than Randy (not sure why this reaction) or act as if what Randy teaches is trivial or trite. Other people have read Money, Possessions, and Eternity and loved most of it but had some problems with the rewards section. Other people have enjoyed his books, including Heaven and the Treasure principle and were excited for me. it was a strange mixture of responses. But regardless, I really enjoyed the class and was challenged very strongly by it. I think a majority of Christians could get a TON from this class and it's a shame people disregard him because he also happens to write Christian fiction. I think some of the judgmental attitude people have towards Randy comes from this.

Anyway, there is a bunch of disconnected thoughts for you.

Anonymous said...

If those thoughts are 'disconnected' then what does it say about me when I read them and find them to make perfect sense? Hah!

Thanks for explaining your statement to me. I have never heard anything negative said about Randy Alcorn before. It threw me.

Glad you enjoyed the class. Are you a student at Multnomah? Is that too nosey?

*grins*

Anonymous said...

http://www.trinitystudycenter.com/james/james_4-11-17.php