Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Our True Identity

MLB Fans Can Now Take Their Team Devotion to the Grave.

Click on the headline to read the story.

I'm a huge Cubs and Bears fan but this is a little disturbing. It's a sad day when the largest thing that defines your life is what team you root for. This looks like a case of mistaken identity. I think this article brings up a good question however that needs to be asked by everyone at some point. Where do we find our identity?

Some find their identity in the clothes they wear, the cars they drive, the career they work, the sports teams they root for, the success they achieve, but is there something deeper to our identity than what we DO or what we LIKE? Doesn't our identity have to do more with who we ARE?

Then we have to ask ourselves the question: Who am I? That is a question that cannot be answered with what you do or what you like unfortunately. Those things do not define a person. So what does?

How would you answer the question: Who Am I?

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Actually, I have thought about this question quite a bit. My grandfather was a cotton farmer in West Texas and amazingly successful at it. He was really a man who could do anything, build anything, interested in anything... he was honestly THE most amazing man I have ever known. When I went to Monticello, Thomas Jefferson's writings and experiments reminded me of my Papaw. Anyway, my aunt and grandmother picked out all the funeral arrangements and I was appalled to find a John Deere tractor embroidered in the casket lid, right in front of my grandfather's face. I know he is no longer in that body, but come on, does his body have to spend forever looking at his work vehicle. He was sooooo much more than a farmer and yet that's all that was represented at his memorial and funeral. I don't see why anyone would want to be remembered fully for something as small as what their job was or what team they rooted for.