Sunday, December 11, 2005

Dinner and a Movie...and some more ants!

Here is a weekend update. For those who have no interest in what I did this weekend you will notice for your convenience I have labeled the parts where I talk about the ants like so ANTS so you will be able to skip right to the good parts.

Friday:
Kelli and I went out to dinner with Rick and Kristi Friday night at "The Wine Exchange" near downtown Tampa. The food was excellent for the price and they had some good microbrews, I had Mendocino Eye of the Hawk (fair) and Samuel Smith Winter Welcome (i'm a sucker for winter beers, this one being very good!) Afterwords we saw Syriana. I honestly did not particularly like the film. I thought it may portray how the world views (and probably rightly so) Americans but other than that I didn't think it was that strong of a film. Rick may or may not disagree with me but i look forward to his review nonetheless.

Saturday: In the morning I made a trip to Lowes to buy buy caulk and some more ANT killer. I then spent the next hour sealing every possible hole that an ant could even think about slipping in on the walls, the baseboard, the outlets. I did everything! After all, this is war and you have to take certain precautions. After war preparations we went to the Michigan/University of South Florida basketball game which happened to be on ESPN 2, although i'm not sure why because it was a complete blowout which every game will be this year against USF. They're like a mediocre intramural squad with the exception of one, maybe two players. The point guard had more turnovers than most WNBA players have in their life. After that we stuck around for the girls game because they are actually good and gave a run to 15th ranked Michigan State. It was honestly a much more exciting game than the mens. Jessica Dickson whom we had the honor of having thanksgiving dinner with is a balla. No, not baller. She is an all out, could beat many of the guys on the mens team balla. She must have had 40 points. Wow, i was impressed. We were exhausted from watching 5 hours of basketball and fell asleep at 10:30. Pretty sad.

Sunday: Went to church and then over to a friends to watch the Bears/Steelers game. Damn. That's all I can say besides the fact that I was hoping when someone scored a touchdown they would do a snow angel but that didn't even happen. Double damn. When we came home I had another run in with the ANTS. I noticed by the pipe which I have discovered their nest was in, there were several hundred ANTS surrounding the rim of the hot water heater. I quickly got my spray and polished those suckers off feeling murderously good about it and thought I had won that battle handily. We then went to see Chronicles of Narnia which I enjoyed although I wish they would have made me endear Aslan a little more, didn't give him enough time to really make me all that upset that he died. That sounds bad doesn't it? It was entertaining nonetheless. I would also like to disagree with Rick as I feel like the resurrection scene was not very powerful. It was like, "he's dead how sad" and then, "oh wait, he's alive again." It just happened to unspectacularly for me I guess. I like that they kept the lines, "the lion is not tame." and then Lucy adds, "no, but he is good." I love that! Favorite part of the book.

Ok, another ANT story. This one of epic proportions! We came home and the first thing I always do is check for more ANTS because I've got to keep a handle on this. I went into the laundry room, looked around, didn't really see anything until I looked on top of the hot water heater (remember I sprayed the base earlier). Well this time as they were trying to escape the deadly spray, the remaining troops in the colony could only head straight up and hundreds of ANTS were cluttered all over the top. I'm not talking about a few, i'm distinctly saying HUNDREDS! I quickly called Kelli in, mostly for the entertainment value of her, "OH GROSS!" and then started the battle. I sprayed and sprayed and sprayed until it almost knocked me over with the fumes and I figured if i was almost to die, they were sure to face death. I was correct. As I speak the tiny little creatures are being melted away and probably burning in ANT hell and I couldn't be more at peace with life. May you never return ANTS or you will face the same demise. You bastards. I'm not naive enough to think the war is over, but this battle is and I came out victorious. Or at least I made myself feel victorious because in a sense there is absolutely no way to know if I'm winning, what winning means or if I will ever "win" this war. But it's like Bush says, "I just need to stay the course." Thanks President, I will!

6 comments:

Tyler said...

what? no pic?

Adam said...

I like the music thing on your blog, I am going to see if I can figure it out. Good first song

Dustin said...

oh man! I didn't even think about taking a picture! Dang it. That would have been awesome! I'm sorry, if they return which is inevitable, i will definitely get some pics.

Anonymous said...

I once fought a battle of epic proportions against a similar drove of ants. It was ten years ago on a night just like tonight. Worst outbreak I ever saw. I attacked, then withdrew. They attacked, then withdrew. And so we danced. In the end, I prevailed and sent them to the fiery pits of ant hell as you did my friend. My mad laughter can sometimes still be heard echoing through the basement if you listen very closely during a calm, cool night. Dream the dream as I did my friend, and victory will surely be yours.

Dustin said...

I just want to draw attention to the anonymous poster above. What you have said made me laugh beyond anything else that happened today so I thank you my friend. I wish I knew who you were. I have a few guesses but that would only diminish the hilarity of this comment.

DJ Word said...

not spectacular, but muchbetter than the scene in the book. So, I was probably impressed by the low expectations I had.