Friday, June 02, 2006

Things that make you go hmmmmm...

I've been wondering as of late why so many activities in the church are about learning something or studying or being taught. That seems very unlike anything Jesus told us to do as the church. Why is such a high percentage of what many churches do include sitting in a classroom taking classes on "discipleship" instead of doing what Jesus told us and actually being a disciple? That is hard for me to say because I love to learn and I love reading but it seems a little bit skewed.

Why do you think American Christianity is so caught up in learning as the basis for discipleship? Do you think studying theology is the most important aspect of discipleship? Does knowing our Bibles better or reading our Bibles more make us better disciples? I'd love to hear your thoughts.

2 comments:

Agent B said...

My wife and I use to be a part of all the right classes and "teachings", etc in the church.

Then I remember clearly hearing the CEO in May 2000 tell me "stop going to school...it's time to DO it".

I was afraid to tell my wife this.

Funny thing...the CEO told her the exact same thing at the same time...and she was afraid to tell ME this.

I don't know bro. School is good and has its place, but I've become a fan of hands on learning (school of hard knocks).

All the best to you & Kelli

DougieB said...

shize pete, way to make every subsequent comment look quite lame in comparison.

To answer the original question, though, i would simply say that, for some reason, it seems easier and more beneficial to ask someone to come to sunday school instead of a soup kitchen or meals on wheels.

This makes me think of the Imago Dei church in Portland that i once listened to a sermon from it's pastor, pastor rick. When people would come up to him with questions on how to become members, he pointed them to the folks giving out sock and ciggarettes to the teens living on the street and food to shut ins.

No classes, no powerpoint, no talking papers.

I liked that. And i hate powerpoint.