Friday, June 09, 2006

David Dark


















I have been wanting to read this for a while now. It's been on my Amazon wishlist forever but we haven't been able to afford anything as of late so I haven't read it until I recently discovered a genious little thing called the library! I think i'm going to start using it more. I don't have room for any more books. I'm tired of carrying them around. So in any case, I have only read the introduction of this book so far and I'm challenged in my thinking in a very real way. I normally don't recommend books after only reading the intro but this is VERY good and very timely. There are about 10 quotes from the intro that I could give you but this one was the most challenging to me personally so I thought I would share it. I love this dude. He's a high school English teacher, he's brilliant and he has a super-cool name.

“In my household, we were taught to pray especially for anyone with whom we found ourselves in passionate disagreement (notably for people in power) and to make every effort to be at peace in our relationships. But being at peace has never meant that there were some things we could never talk about or that disagreement had to end a conversation. You wouldn’t know it if you only listened to the shouting matches between pundits on television and radio, but it is still possible to like someone while noting something problematic in their choice of words. You can affirm many good qualities in another person, wish them well and pray for them, and still hope that they’ll never be (or will stop being) the president of these United States. We can disagree with someone’s speech and practice without being anti-them.”

2 comments:

DJ Word said...

if the copy you have seems a little worn and there are some pencil marks, hopefully erased along with dog ears, then you are reading the same copy I did last year.

I actually want to buy the darn thing. It is quite good, but different from my expectations.

g13 said...

ah yes, waffle house politics!

i really appreciate how deeply dark is influenced by, and serves as a intriguing incarnation of, the wisdom tradition of the old testament. for my money, he's one of american eh-vangelicalism's most important writers.