Saturday, June 03, 2006

Jesus of Suburbia by Mike Erre















I just finished reading Jesus of Suburbia by Rock Harbor pastor Mike Erre so I could right the cover copy for TN. I wish I could give you some quotes from the book but I think that is probably highly against the rules since it doesn't come out until October. But I wanted to tell you about this book because it is PHENOMENAL! The book isn't so much a critique on suburban culture as it is about the false Jesus that American Christianity has created and worships every Sunday in thousands of churches as compared to the Jesus of Nazareth we find in the gospels. Very insightful. If you are a pastor, this is a MUST read. Click here to check it out and put it on your wishlist. Or you can just send me 5 dollars and I will send you the manuscript. Just kidding Mike or Thomas Nelson or anyone else who is looking for a reason to fire me! I would NEVER do that. But seriously, maybe for like 30 or something. On a serious note I'm not paid or solicited in any way to pump up this book, I'm telling you because I think it is an excellent read and very helpful as I think through ministry in our culture.

3 comments:

Agent B said...

Man. Wish i could get my hands on a manuscript.

Seriously...I'd love to read it. remind me when it comes out.

BTW - how did you get involved in the "book" industry. You know...reviewing, writing, etc.

Curious.

bill said...

it is now on my must read list.

and that is a good question agent b...how did you, dustin?

Dustin said...

it really seems pretty random. I wrote a few articles for Relevant and got contacted out of the blue by a woman named Kelsey who works for Thomas Nelson Publishers and asked if I wanted to write some cover copies because she thought my style of writing might fit what they do. This was back in October so I've been doing it semi-consistently ever since. It's been a blessing to have the extra money during this time! I'm not sure if i'm any good or not, actually they don't seem to use many of my copies word for word so I guess i'm not very good but they keep coming so I keep doing them!