Tuesday, June 13, 2006

June is Jesus Month!

It's funny because I didn't plan this but I just realized everything I've been reading is about Jesus this month. Probably never a bad thing to have a refresher and rethink the very point of you entire existence. I get so caught up in the "Christian" religion sometimes that I forget that a religion is not why Jesus came. In pursuing this religion I am missing the point. So in that respect these books have helped to refocus my life on what is important: that being the person of Jesus and being obedient to the life and movement that he has called us to as a community.

The Secret Message of Jesus - Brian Mclaren
-just got this mailed to me yesterday from my generous friend Drew Moser. Thanks man! He has like 15 websites or something right now so I'll just direct you to this one so you can link to the others when you have time. Read a few chapters of Secret Message, very insightful as you would expect from Mclaren. Much simpler than his other books which is a plus for simple minds like myself! He really clarifies in a simple way what he is talking about. Only a great communicator can get such strong points across in such little space. I appreciate that. Reminds me of Buechnerr. More later after I finish the book. Also I would love to hear other thoughts on the book so post away.

The Challenge of Jesus - N.T. Wright
-haven't started yet but how can you go wrong with N.T.?

The Meaning of Jesus; Two Visions - N.T. Wright and Marcus Borg
-how do these guys remain friends??? I've read some Marcus Borg stuff in the past and have enjoyed it although I don't agree with much of his ideologies about who Jesus was and is. I do however appreciate his passion and his scholarship. N.T. Wright is a little closer to the conclusions I have come to, but much more in depth. I love to hear them talking things out. Gives you a great vision of each side and I'm glad they did this book together. If only more people from Orthodox Christian faith could dialogue with Jesus Seminarians (made that word up) and people of completely other faiths.

Jesus of Suburbia - Mike Erre
-phenomonal book which I talked about briefly in a previous post. Check it out!

And of course I'm reading through The Brother's Karamazov which I have really enjoyed. The length of the book is overwhelming but when you are enjoying something you don't want it to end anyway. Pride seems to be the big theme woven throughout the book. Really shows the destructive nature of pride. I don't know much about Russian history but I've heard that is a reoccuring theme in their history as well. Great book!

Also just realized that I probably need to start looking over some Greek stuff soon. I've got to test out of Greek at Western so I don't have to take it all over again. 80% will give me the credits which is awesome. The problem is, I don't really remember any Greek. I'm hoping it will come back to me as I start to see the materials. Three years of Greek and I can't remember jack. That's not good.

No comments: