Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Forgiveness Vs. Justice

We talked about this idea briefly last night in our Bible study and it's a tension that really bothers me. I can't figure it out. As followers of Christ we are called to forgive people who have wronged us even if they don't deserve it yet some whole-heartidly believe in the death penalty citing "an eye for an eye" and determining that they deserve death because they killed. Some os us cheer and celebrate because a man in Iraq that is associated with a terrorist organization is killed. A position that has already been refilled and will always be refilled. I'm not sure there is much to celebrate politically, but even less so as a follower of Jesus. But at the same time it is good to know that there is one less person on earth that will ruthlessly kill innocent people. Where's the balance?

Do we as humans have a role to play in justice? Is justice solely God's domain? Or has he called us to be a part of instilling justice on the earth and on other humans? And if so, how does that correlate with what Jesus says about forgiving our enemies?

Any ideas?

I guess I need a good definition of justice. Many churches are talking about justice as a core value of their church. I think in their definition it about serving the poor and oppressed and taking measures to ensure that people are not trampled by the system which is a key aspect and is something that I want to be a part of but what about the other aspect of justice such as "bringing people who are guilty to justice" or punishment or self-protection? Obviously we can't just forgive everyone who murders someone and let them go, but is killing them really justice? I don't really know, it's confusing. It seems almost like this aspect of justice (being punishment for actions) and Jesus' call to forgiveness are adamantly opposed.

5 comments:

DougieB said...

I found myself grinning to announcement on NPR last week of Zarqawi's death, and then wondering why on earth i was smiling that someone (and others with him) were killed in an airstrike.

The line is so fuzzy, so far from me to put a mark on, but i don't know if we'll ever find an answer. That is, apart from an instance in which immediate action was required. Say, for example, if my life or my wife's life was threatened, reacting with force to prevent it.

But then the line shows back up again, and all of the scripture describing love and faith and 'turning that blasted cheek'
creep back into the mind.

Sorry, i guess i don't really have a good answer, other than to tell you that you're not alone. :)

Agent B said...

The ministry group I'm associated with recently did a deep study of Micah, thus "justice".

I'd recommend the same to you.

If I recall...justice as described by Micah is far different than the revenge type justice of the world.

I think his (ie: the lord's) definition of justice was more along the lines of "to make something right" as opposed to "give what's coming to them".

Make something right...you can go for miles on that one.

drew moser said...

1. I collect websites like Rupert Murdoch collects businesses. Hurricane Dustin may very well be next. Be on the lookout. I'm in the business of diehard, cutthroat, republican big biz takeovers. (kidding, of course)

2. Justice? A difficult concept for me as well. You're right in noticing the trend to focus on the victims, but what of justice for the perpetrators? the chronies? the dictators? That's the tuffy. I'm not sure our version of 'justice' towards such idiots is even accurate. I'm not accusing you of this, but I think so many equate justice with revenge. Revenge is not a road we wanna go down. Didn't Gandhi say: an eye for an eye makes the whole world go blind?

Forgiveness then, is what breaks this vicious cycle. Forgiveness seems to miraculously, unfairly, unbelievably allows a person to let go of the injustice for the sake of love. In the words of Rob Bell: "true forgiveness occurs when you can wish your enemy well."

But what of civility? Law and order? I dunno. The death penalty seems like a cheap trick, a gruesome coping device to satisfy our lust for revenge. Where do you draw the line in terms of punishment? Again, I dunno. Maybe to the point where you prevent them from ever doing THAT again to anyone else, whether it be life in prison, a napoleonic exile, or a biospheric bubble with nothing to eat but Spam. Let the artificial meat uncoil its wrath!

Keith said...

Hey Dustin,

I am going to be moving to North Carolina (Charlotte) in July. I was wondering if you knew of any good churches in the area. I'm not really sure why you would know, but I thought I would ask...

Thanks,
Keith

Dustin said...

good thoughts. thanks.

i'll check that book out too Pete, looks helpful.