Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Top Nintendo Games of All Time

Inspired by Devin's great post, I can't imagine not making a list of my own. I'm going to have to narrow it down to just Nintendo games for this post however. I don't have the time nor the brain power to widen it any. Just for the record, Devin may have beaten me yesterday at NCAA Football 04 on PSII (while I was supposed to be studying Hebrew) but the Miama/Virginia Tech game we played may go down into history as the greatest game ever played on the 2004 version of that game. I can't even begin to describe the excitement nor heartbreak that is caused. It will haunt me the rest of my days. But now, on to the list!

#1 - Super Tecmo Bowl
If I owned this game today I would still play it over Madden, NCAA Football, anything. Nothing compares or will ever compare to this game in the sports genre. In fact, I have a friend in Florida who last I checked was still battling it out with his brother in-law and was keeping a record book of everything they accomplished.



#2 - Mike Tyson's Punch Out
This was the great omission that I noticed on Devin's blog. I'm not sure I trust a man who doesn't have this in his top ten. Could have been a complete mind blip though. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.




#3 - The Legend of Zelda
Granted I was shocked to find out that Zelda is a girl, but nonetheless, almost perfect game.






#4 - Super Mario Bros. 3
There was no greater hype in video game land then when this game came out. Arguably one of the greatest games of all time.






#5 - Contra
Any game that has a t-shirt with the cheat code on it, has to be in the top 5.






#6 - Double Dragon 2
Obvious.







#7 - Mega Man (any of them)
On sheer entertainment value, it's hard to beat Mega Man with anything.






#8 - Metal Gear
Besides Mario Bros. this might be the first game I owned.







#9 - Blades of Steel
I don't even like hockey and this game had me hooked.







#10 - Little League World Series
This game was my first introduction to globalization. I learned what major league teams have just started learning. Japanese pitchers are unhittable!







#11 - Baseball Stars
Is everyone happy now?









#12 - Double Dribble
Free throws are still impossible but a great game nonetheless.







#13 - Micro Machines
It's sad to note how many people never gave this game a shot. But while I could never afford to buy it, it was a top rental when I was 10.






#14 - Paperboy
This game honestly is not that good, but for some reason I still have to put it in this list. Kind of a requirement.






#15 - Ducktales
Make fun of me if you will but this was fun.







#16 - Excitebike
Another standard must be on the list game.








14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very nice list. I would move Little League Baseball up on my list. I liked it better than RBI Baseball. Ward was awesome. I would also move Ducktales up. That was a great game. I enjoyed Teenage Mutan Ninja Turtles as well. I actually never had a Nintendo growing up as my parents wouldn't buy one for us, so my experience is from playing at friends' houses. I was depraved.

Jeff

Dustin said...

you're probably right about Little League Baseball. I definitely enjoyed it more overall than RBI. Ward was the man!

drew moser said...

Love the attempt, D, but leaving RBI baseball off the list is a travesty. That was the best game ever! Well...second to Tecmo Bowl, of course.

Dustin said...

drew,

i actually had RBI baseball in there earlier but i have since modified it because I don't remember playing it that much. I liked Little League world series better!

devin said...

baseball stars is the best NES baseball game...hands down

it was the first video game (to my knowledge) that allowed you to create your own team, allowed players to progress in skill (you could buy skill points with $); plus, it was pretty realistic for that point in time.

Dustin said...

yeah, i think i forgot about baseball stars. i need a refresher.

John V said...

A great post. Nothing like Nintendo to stir debate. Agree with others about RBI Baseball and Baseball Stars. Both were list-worthy, but I'm also partial to sports games. Not only was Baseball Stars the first game that allowed you to personalize your own team, but it was also the first (I believe) that allowed you to control when you dove to make catches and climb the outfield wall to rob a homerun. I also would have included the old-school NES Ice Hockey. What a dilemma ... do you go with the "skinny" guys for speed, the "fat" guys for power or a mix of both?? Why were the medium size guys even in the game?

Also, I appreciate the reference to your "friend in Florida" who battled with his brother-in-law and kept a record book for Super Tecmo Bowl and I will gladly own up to it. Unfortunately, the brother-in-law lives in a different city now and the NES is 4 hours away.

John V said...

One more thing. Where is Metroid on this list?!?!?! One of the best.

Dustin said...

yeah, you guys are right about Baseball Stars. I need to amend the list. I totally forgot about Metroid! Great game!

Betsy said...

i really liked California Games...you could throw frisbees and hackey sack and skateboard and it had a dirtbike feature too. it was fun. that one and super mario 3 were my faves.

Betsy said...

oh and you could also surf! i forgot about that...sorry...

Aaron Stewart said...

I can't believe you left out the original Mario from this list. I agree on Megaman and Contra :)

Dustin said...

California Games!!! Awesome! I forgot about that. I also liked the Winter Games. Man, good addition!

Tyler said...

yeah no metroid :(

Good choices overall though. Here's what I think you are missing if it means anything.

-Ninja Gaiden
-Bionic Comando
-Battle Toads [seriously]
-Super Dodge Ball

I didn't ever play Little League, but Baseball Stars was quite amazing! And I think it's Mega Man 2 that is the best one. :)

But Paperboy? I would disagree - far to monotonous. It's the same thing start to finish just add in more obstacles and longer courses.