Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Heart of Gold


We watched Neil Young’s documentary “Heart of Gold” Monday night. Basically it’s his unveiling of his (then) new album Prairie Wind at Ryman Auditorium in Nashville. Neil Young is one of my musical heroes. He is such a humble, un-pretentious star. I overflow with respect for the man. I wish young musicians would follow in his legacy. He's a total class act.

Anyway, Young has such a rich history of music and it is definitely worth watching if you’re a fan. One of my favorites is on the special features disc where Neil performed “Needle and the Damage Done” on the Johnny Cash Show in 1971. Looks really freaking young, sounds exactly the same which is a mind blower. How did his voice never change in the last 30 years???? Must be performance enhancing drugs. They should test him. Another highlight is his performance of “When God Made Me.” If you haven’t given it a good listen, check it out. Simple but profound. I was moved.

No comments: