Thursday, April 17, 2008

Summer is near

Well, let me rephrase that. Summer semester is almost here, the weather right now has nothing to do with summer. I'm almost resigned to the fact that it is going to snow throughout the summer. In any case, I only have ONE MORE Hebrew class left. Two hours on Tuesday and I'll be finished with Hebrew class forever! That is exciting. I just have one final on Monday, a class Tuesday and it's officially summertime.

Kelli is leaving on Saturday kind of unexpectedly to visit her parents who happen to be in Florida right now. They called today and bought her a plane ticket down there for next week which is timely because she's been missing the warm weather and cozy beaches of Florida. I think she's probably a little excited.

I myself and leaving on Wednesday to be in my high school friend (well, he's still my friend) Josh Carr's wedding for the weekend and I will feel no remorse for acting like I'm back in high school. Then I'm going to go up to Chicago and hang with a few friends from college (Brad and Nick) the rest of the week (and hopefully catch a Cubbies game). I'll be gone for ten days so it will be a nice trip. Then it's back to Portland to start the Hawthorne Gathering. Starting May 18th, I'll be preaching almost every week which I've been preparing to do for the last 10 years!

Total time Kelli and I will be away from each other will be 14 days! So far the most we've been apart has been about 5 days. This will be tough. It may sound strange, but once you're married, being away from each other sucks big time. I feel like I'm missing my arm or something.

But I do have some good books to keep me company. This summer I've got a stellar reading list for myself (very few of these are for school!), although I do have a class with John Sailhamer and Walt Kaiser this summer (I'm bragging, although I'm not sure Gentry is sold on Walt, maybe I'm wrong).

In any case, on tap to read this summer and currently in my possession are the following:

Surprised by Hope - N.T. Wright
The Reason for God - Tim Keller
Reformed and Always Reforming - Roger Olson
Jesus the Jewish Theologian - Brad Young
Not the Way It's Supposed to Be - Cornelius Plantinga
Orthodoxy - G.K. Chesterton
The Idiot - Doestoevsky

A couple new good books, a few classic theology books, and one classic. I'm sure I'll read quite a bit more, but these are the interesting ones!

What's on your reading list this summer?

3 comments:

g13 said...

no, i didn't enjoy kaiser's preaching and teaching all that much, but he was a hell of a fund raiser who seemed to serve the interests of the South Hamilton Institute of Theology well.

as for my summer reading list, well, i'm finding it hard to look past my final exegesis paper right now. but this summer i would like to start reading nt wright, so i'll probably check out jesus and the new testament people of God. i would also like to finally read john bright's history of israel and i'm sure i'll read chabon's new book, which i just found out about today.

here's to getting back into serious reading this summer and spending more regular time in the (theological) library!

boy that sounds like fun.

Dustin said...

it's funny Gentry because a few of the professors that I have at Western studied under Kaiser in grad school and talk about him like he's the king of the Old Testament world (which maybe he is, I don't know) so I'll be interested to sit in on this one. I think he's basically doing a class on his new book about The Majesty of God in the Old Testament. Plus, I can't count how many times I've read his book Toward An Old Testament Theology quoted in other books.

g13 said...

i'm probably a bad read on kaiser. truth be told, i've never studied under and OT prof that i found particularly compelling. i really enjoy reading abraham heschel though and would have enjoyed studying under muilenberg (sp?) during his glory days at union in nyc.

i've heard sailhammer is quite good and will be interested to hear how the class goes.