Monday, July 03, 2006

Back From CIY


I returned from CIY on Saturday evening after a long day of being on the road. It's about 12 hours from Johnson City, TN to Tampa, FL. The students that went with us this week were great. I really enjoyed getting to know the guys and goofing off. It reminded me of what it's like being in High School. There were several hilarious, stereotypical CIY moments such as guys carrying around their guitars trying to impress the girls, which Christian College could get to the vans that were arriving to pray for them first, the amount of cheesy Christian T-Shirts, how many David Crowder songs the band "Foundation Red" covered during the week, the fact that the worship band was called "Foundation Red", or that they sang a song with this first verse:

"I'm finding myself
at a loss for words
and the funny thing is,
it's okay."

I could have sworn it was an REO Speedwagon cover but it was actually indeed a worship song.

I could go on and on. It was very funny but it was a great week to relax, get away from everything and just think for a bit without being distracted by a computer or anything else. The two highlights from the week for me was hearing Craig Gross from XXX Church speak and Kevin Greer from CIY who has been doing ministry for 20 years. They were both very encouraging for what God is doing in our world. It was also a good reminder that God has not created me to be a youth minister. I need that reminder once in a while.

2 comments:

drew moser said...

I don't need reminders of my NON-calling to youth ministry...ever. God bless the youth pastors.

Dustin said...

that's funny betsy. they seemed like cool people and they did a good job all week, that song just kind of freaked me out a little!