Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Some light in the darkness!

As many of you know from previous posts I've been dealing with some perpetual health issues. Every time something gets corrected, some other random thing pops out of the woodwork. All of these random problems starts to make a person feel inadequate after a while, like they're weaker than normal people or something. It also makes me bitter because I feel like I haven't brought any of these things on myself through smoking or drugs or eating awfully or anything. I've lived a relatively healthy life.

But that hasn't prevented the 2 knee surgeries, being on seizure medication for 5 years, or the unbelievably high Triglycerides that has brought me to the Cardiologist for the last 9 months on top of other things. In the last 10 years I feel like I've had every test imaginable. Ultrasounds, MRI's, CT Scan's, EKG's, a bazillion blood tests, cortisone injections, on and on. I won't even go into how difficult this makes it to get insurance. Absolutely impossible.

I've always felt weird about telling people about my partial seizure disorder because I feel like people think I'm a weirdo somehow, or they're afraid I'm going to have a seizure in their presence or something which is certainly unpleasant. I've only had one grand mal seizure in my life, on the New York subway which was a blast. The others have all been of the smaller sort where I retain consciousness. I remember in college a few times I had them while I was driving alone. I didn't know what was happening at the time. Had I known they were partial seizures, I may have acted before the big daddy happened in 2004.

All of this weighs on me and frustrates me to no end. I feel relatively helpless and keep fearing what could possibly be next. Just when I think there is a good stretch ahead, something gives.

But I say all of that because today is a good day. After 5 years and no seizures, the time has come to discontinue my medication which I have as of Monday. That is a large step and it feels great. Certainly frightening as I wait to see what will happen, but the end of a season nonetheless.

On top of that I have a GREAT cardiologist who has taught me, encouraged me, challenged me, and has brought all kinds of blessings to our lives in the last 9 months. I am very thankful for her. Today she gave me the news that my triglyceride level has gone from 560 to 215 in the last 9 months due to a huge diet change, exercise (not as much due to this), and a few medications. The good news is, in 6 weeks it looks like I could break the 150 mark at which point we would start to discontinue some of the medication and I wouldn't have to go back for a year!

Once again I'm praying for a good stretch of health for the rest of 2009! I'm feeling confident that it's going to happen this time!

3 comments:

Keith said...

Dustin,

As someone who has a chronic illness and had a stroke at 25 I can relate to the feelings you talked about in the post. I am glad you've gotten some good news & I'll be hoping for a healthy '09 and beyond for you.

Thadd Sparrow said...

Dustin,

I never knew your health was such a huge concern. (Not that I would have expected you to go around announcing it on campus or anything. You're just not that guy.) Nicole and I will be praying for you! I hope this is the start of some wonderful years ahead!

Anonymous said...

Have you tried shark cartilage?