Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Bagby

I traced my family back 9 generations today (partially with the help of my cousin Amie's previous reseach) to Halifax, NC where about 4 generations of Bagby's lived until Thomas Bagby moved to Illinois in the mid-1850's. The trail goes dead at Isaac Bagby in the 1700's. I'm not sure who emigrated and from where. It could be Scotland but it's also possible that it could be England. I'm hooked though, I want to know my roots!


I also found out there is a Bagby, UK.

















And a Church of Bagby.


And finally, there was also a Grover Cleveland Bagby.
No joke!

7 comments:

Keith said...

The U.K Bagby picture reminds me of when Frank Costanza takes the picture of Carlo Costanza from Elayne.

Dan said...

actually, i've started referring to the hawthorne gathering as the church of bagby sometimes.

Jim Krill said...

Maybe you're ancestors are from the Shire, Bilbo.

Anonymous said...

dude, that's so cool. i need to do that. how should i get started?

Dustin said...

My cousin had put together some family tree stuff a few years back so I took the information I had gotten from her and signed up for a free 14 day trial at Ancestry.com. It can be some work to find the right people, as there will be several people with the same name as your relatives, but if you know spouse names, or dates of birth and stuff already you can find out quite a bit. I would just start talking to your family, putting some names together and then do the trial to see what you can find out. It's pretty fun.

Rick Bagby said...

One story that I once read about our ancestors is that the name can be traced back to the eleventh century. Supposedly, the literal translation of "Bagby" is "homestead of the dissenter" (or, as I jokingly told my students, "birthplace of the troublemaker").

A second and perhaps more plausible story is that the first known Bagby was a baby who was left on someone's doorstep with a note that had "His name is John" written on it. He came to be known as "John, left in a bag by the door."

Considering the illiteracy rate long ago, though, even this story might be dubious.

Final item. I read that our surname was originally pronounced as "Bag-beh," instead of the current "Bag-bee."

Anonymous said...

Forgot to mention this.

Everything that I have read indicates that our line hails from England.

Rick Bagby