Tuesday, October 07, 2008

The Cubs

Most likely I'm going to have to respond to the Cubs ridiculous loss to the Dodgers so it might as well be now. First, let me say that the Dodgers played incredibly well. Their lineup is really solid and their pitching was surprisingly good also. The way they are playing they should have beat the Cubs! I hope they kill the Phillies as well. That would at least help me to sleep at night.

Second, the Cubs played like a AA team at best. Couldn't hit, couldn't pitch, couldn't field. When you walk 7 guys or have 4 errors, you're probably not going to win. They were awful. They had spells like that in the year a few times, but fortunately you have 4 or 5 games to get out of them and go back to normal. This was an unfortunate time for the Cubs to have a spell like this.

So what's next?

As Mark Derosa said on his blog not everyone on the team is going to be around next season. And for that I am thankful. My first two picks to go are:

1. Fukudome
2. Soriano

Here's why. First, Fukudome turned out to be a joke. Excuse the frankness, but the only reason he made the All-Star game is because he was a novelty item from the beginning. He hasn't hit well in the past two months and honestly it's not hard to look at his mechanics and see why! It looks like a little league swing. He never looked like an All-Star, that I think we can all agree on.

Alright, now to Soriano. Many of you wonder, why would you want to trade a guy who hits a home run now and again? That's easy. Because if he doesn't hit a home run he's going to strike out, guaranteed. He's almost an automatic out, but once in a while he's a solo home run. Not all that helpful. Do I need to mention his fielding skills or the routine fly balls that just bounce out of his glove? Do we need to mention that not at one time has he looked like he's cared about the team, his teammates, or baseball in general? I've never seen one ounce of passion out of that guy. He gets up, he strikes out and then he strolls back to the bench, has a cool drink and ponders what he'll have for dinner when he gets home. Worthless. Get rid of him.

I've also resolved as I've pointed out that it is needless to get excited about the regular season in any way and I refuse to do so until they win a playoff game. I don't care if they win 100 games next year, that will mean nothing to me. When they win a playoff game, then I will start getting excited again. So let me end this on a gentle note by simply saying: You suck Cubs....you suck.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with everything you said Dustin. Especially on who they should get rid of.

And I don't think the Cubs will be really good until they get some better pitching. Not that their pitching is terrible now. But the teams who make it to the World Series always have the best pitching, don't they?

Jeff

Keith said...

Six Reasons why you are stuck with those two...

Soriano - 32 6 102
Fukodome - 33 3 36

Age - Years left on contract - Dollars left on contract -

Good luck with all that...

Aaron Stewart said...

Dude you should find a way to tie this in with Corinthians this week. ;)

Dustin said...

i may have to Aaron. If there was ever a team that needed a resurrection, it's the Cubs. Hows that?

Anonymous said...

sorry man. i know it must suck.

go tampa bay!!

hey you should check this out...

http://www.neimanmarcus.com/store/sitelets/christmasbook/fantasy.jhtml?cid=OCBF9_NMO3606&cmCat=christmas&icid=NMCBpage79