Wednesday, September 17, 2008

McDonald's Christianity

My mom took this picture today of a church right by her place I believe strictly for the sole purpose of feeding the cynical monster that lives inside of me.

I'm going to warn you that if you go to the website, be prepared for the longest (and most dramatic) flash introduction you've ever seen! I will say this, they sure have a lot to live up to with all that they promise to be!

This idea reminds me of the Seventh Day Adventist church that has the "Community Prayer Box" in their parking lot with a big sign on SE 60th, by Western Seminary.

I certainly won't criticize the loving desire to serve people in the community that on my less cynical days I believe leads to ideas such as these, but I do wonder what the response has been. Many people will say that the response does not matter if their motives were right. I disagree. I honestly think gimmicks like this are just more fodder for mockery from Christ-followers and those who don't follow Christ alike, ultimately coming from a church that has no idea of how to "get more people" to come to their church but is desperately willing to try any and everything.

How many non-Christians are going to find this appealing in any way?

5 comments:

g13 said...

they might like the free coffee.

Alaina said...

http://www.grumpysbailbonding.com/

Dustin, here is another website that was done by the same people who did the tlwcc website!!

Dustin said...

oh man, hahaha. Thanks for that Alaina, that is truly hilarious. Wow.

kristi said...

i think you are right about it being used to make Christians look even more like idiots. there was something like this in that documentary Jesus Camp, i think. have you seen it?

Mary said...

Very similar to drive-thru chapel sin Vegas...