Saturday, May 10, 2008

Coffee Cream Stout


Today, Kelli and I will attempt to brew a Coffee Cream Stout (using Stumptown Coffee) and the specialty grains you see above. We're going to add some lactose powder before bottling (which is a month away) to offset the bitterness of the coffee and we're using very few Fuggles hops as well to retain the sweet, smooth flavor. We're going to let this one age until late fall or winter (if we can keep our hands off of it) so we have something delicious to drink on those cold winter nights.




So far we've brewed:
Nut brown ale (turned out okay, but it is getting worse! I would not use brown sugar next time)
Pale ale (best so far, brewed with Northern Brewer hops which rule! Close to an IPA)
Red ale (some bottle turned out amazing, other's tasted like flat dishwater, hmm)
IPA (soaked in oak chips and dry hopped. this one is bottle conditioning as we speak)

I think this Coffee Cream Stout is going to be the crowning achievement so far. I have high hopes! I'll let you know when we sample in about 6 weeks. This is one of the more adventurous things we have done yet so I hope it doesn't turn out terrible.

Next to brew:
ESB (We've got to get this one rolling Devin and Chris)
Maybe a wheat beer?
Something with Summit Hops if I can ever get my hands on some.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

whatever we burn next should come with a screw top

Dustin said...

Devin would probably like that!