Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Truly a Fantastic Week

#1 Holy Week complete with Maundy Thursday Dinner, Good Friday Gathering, and of course Easter this Sunday. Yeah Resurrection!

#2 NCAA Tourney First Round (the best round) this Thursday and Friday. I will be at my television at 9am when it starts out here and will feel great about skipping Hebrew to catch all the action while I pack up boxes for #3.

#3 We're moving this Friday morning over to the SE (Burnside specifically). We'll be about a half a mile from Western Seminary which is awesome and will be paying less rent for more space!

A side note, not only does our home get bigger, but our brewery does as well. I won't have to sleep next to my gurgling fermenter anymore (but I might anyway). Speaking of beer, the Brown Nut Ale (brewed alongside Chris and Devin) came out better than I imagined. The brown sugar added a lot of flavor and smoothness and the alcohol content was a little higher than I wanted, probably around 7 to 8 percent (oops). I also have a Pale Ale bottle conditioning that I brewed with Elvyss that will be drinkable in about a week and a Red Ale that Devin and I brewed specifically for baseball season that I racked into the secondary today.

On tap to brew this summer: Heifeweizen, ESB, and for the ladies, Hard Apple Cider! I'm so glad I found a hobby! This is so much fun.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I want a pint of that nut brown, my friend... please save me some

Anonymous said...

tonight, i tried some gonzo ale made by flying dog. it was pretty good.

marta said...

So, you googled yourself and found you're not the only Dustin Bagby. Too funny! Was looking at my archives and found your comment. That's some brew ya got.. brewin there... very.. brown.

Dustin said...

yeah man, weird. I thought I was unique!

Anonymous said...

where should i go to start my brewery? what do you suggest in terms of beer, and how to?

Dustin said...

Hey Shawn,

There's a good brew shop in Tampa called the Brew Shack. That is where I got all my supplies and stuff starting out. I believe it's on Waters Ave. They will be happy to talk you through the process and you can buy the equipment kit you need for about a hundred bucks, then you will need to buy a 4-5 gallon stainless steel pot for your boil which is about another 30 dollars.

I would probably start out brewing something simple like an amber or a pale ale. The store will have recipe kits that they can put together for you as well as step by step instructions. But if you have any specific questions about the process or whatever let me know, I'd be glad to help.

Dustin said...

wait, i just saw that you don't live in Tampa anymore. Scratch that, I would search for a Brew Shop online in or around your town then. I'm sure there's got to be one somewhere close. If not, I recommend Midwest Brew Supply. You can order anything you need for a great price there. www.midwestsupplies.com