Monday, March 06, 2006

Birthday Surprise













I almost forgot to tell this story. This happened on February 7th, my 26th Birthday.

Kelli and I went out to eat at an Irish Pub here in Tampa. I had the Shepherd's Pie and at one point a guy not too far from us asked me how it was. I said it was good and that was that. At the end of the meal when I asked for our check, the waitress said she was going to get it and then came back a few minutes later and said that the man I had talked to earlier about the Pie offered to pay for our meal. I was a bit surprised to say the least so Kelli and I went over to meet him. His name was Dave and all he said was, "Well, i thought the Shepherd's Pie looked good so I just thought I would pay for it." Kelli said, "Wow, that's so cool, it's his Birthday today." And then Dave gave me a "Happy Birthday." He went on to say, "I had some dental work done today so maybe it's the drugs doing the talking but just thought I would pay for you guys." How cool is that??? I have never had a complete stranger pay for our dinner before. Have you???

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I went to a restaurant alone after a twelve-hour work shift. I ate my meal at the bar. A man across from me said a simple "hello." I returned the gesture. When I asked the bartender for the check, she said, "Matt paid for it." I said, "Who's Matt?" and she pointed at the man who said hello to me. I went over to him, thanked him, and told him I hoped to see him again and maybe pay for his meal. I never saw him in that restaurant again. It proves that there are just genuinely kind people still out there.

Anonymous said...

That is awful nice. I would rather he pay my mortgage though.

Anonymous said...

And my alimony while he is at it...