Friday, March 10, 2006

Bad Way To Start Vacation

On my way to the barber today I got in a car accident. I stopped at a stoplight and a Dodge Ram stopped behind me and the guy behind that car just crushed the truck's back end which in turn hit our car pretty hard. We all pulled off the road and the lady in the truck was in a lot of pain so I called 911 and got an ambulance down there and basically just made sure the woman was alright while we waited for the ambulance. The Jeep that hit the truck was smashed up in the front end pretty bad, it deployed the air bag and it scaped his arms a little but he was okay too. The office got there and got everyone's information and this is where it could have gone really bad. Let me tell you why:

1) My New York State License has been suspended since November (which I didn't know) because of an unpaid traffic ticket (you remember Elvyss???)

2) I have not been added to Kelli's insurance (oops)

3) I moved to Florida about 8 months ago and did not get a new license. You are required to get one by law within 30 days of moving.

Those are obviously all bad things. But I was very thankful for what happened. The sheriff was very very lenient with me. She just gave me a ticket for having a suspended license and told me to take care of the ticket immediately and get a Florida license. She also said that she was supposed to arrest me and I would be arrested if I got pulled over again but she also said that I apparently wasn't aware of the situation so she wasn't concerned about it. The insurance thing she never said anything about. But she did ask when I moved to Florida and I told her and she told me about the 30 days rule. The other great thing is that it did absolutely no damage to our car! I got hit pretty hard, but apparently our car is awesome! The front end of the Truck that hit me was pretty dented up so apparently a 97 Grand Prix is stronger than a new Dodge Ram! Take that Ram!

Anyway, a pretty stressful way to start our vacation week! Can't wait to get on that plane. Thank you officer for being so graceful to me! I know it could have been much much worse! And thank you God that no one was injured seriously and our car is still okay! Phew!

7 comments:

drew moser said...

that blows...i had my license suspended for a year while in college because the fascist secretary of the state of illinois decided to make a name for himself and mandated 1 yrs suspensions for those who have 2 speeding tickets withing 2 years (which coincidently, is the same punishment for bekah's cousin in ohio, who has 3 DUI's...what?). thank God you got off so easy; dustin the jailbird would've hindered your vacation (but may have been a sweet inspiration for your blog)

Anonymous said...

dude, just a few weeks ago I got pulled over for a busted headlight and the officer found out I had a suspended license and guess what... I went to jail overnight! I can't tell you how crappy the whole situation is for me because of it, but maybe the sour of my situation will make yours seem all the sweeter. You got hooked up big time man. enjoy the vaca.

Fishcop said...

Good thing you have the big man watching out for you. Hopefully you will take this a lesson learned and get your business in order.

bill said...

a 1997 grand prix is not to be taken lightly.

Dustin said...

wow Jon! That's crazy! I am very very very thankful!

And yes Johnny, I am going to get my business in order, no question there.

Elvyss said...

HAH! Yo got pinched by the "(wo)man" who just wanted to mess with your head! You should have told her, to kiss your grand prix bumper!

Adam said...

holy crap I think I have an unpaid parking ticket in Tenn. I better check on that. Plus I have a licence from when I lived in IL. I lived in MO for a year and now IN for 9 months!!!