Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Switchfoot Review


Posted by Picasa

After the huge mainstream success of their last LP, “the Beautiful Letdown”, some fans were afraid that Switchfoot would take their hit single, “Meant to Live”, and try to reproduce it for every track on their new album. I have to admit that I enjoyed their hit the first 21, 349 times I heard it. But I would not relish an album trying to mimic the success of one radio pleaser. All fears and wishes aside, this album is sadly that exact dilemma come to life.

The lyrics are as predictable as they are vague. There are so many “us”, “we”, “everyone” and “everything’s” that it makes your head spin. The generalities and clichés are easy targets on the lyric sheet. As a writer myself, I understand that I need to be more specific if I hope to get a point across. I cannot rely on such generalizations as “everyone” or “everything” which Switchfoot has banked on repeatedly in this album. The word “everyone” is used 19 times. This wouldn’t be so bad if “everyone” wasn’t the main subject of the songs in which it is used.

The worst sample of lyric writing comes on “Happy is a Yuppie Word”.

“Everyone dies
Everyone loves a fight
Nothing is sound
Nothing is right side right
Evening comes, when the sun goes down in red
Nothing is cool
When will all the fighting end
When will all the fighting end”

I have no idea how any of these lyrics or ideas correlate with one another. There is a disconnect lyrically and this actually made me laugh out loud because it reminds me of a poem I wrote and submitted to a national poetry contest in 7th grade. I received a letter back letting me know that I should never write poetry again. Not bad advice.

The only interesting thing about this song is its title which was taken from a Bob Dylan quote in a 1991 interview with Rolling Stone. Dylan was asked if he was happy in which he replied, “Those are yuppie words, happiness and unhappiness.”

In “We Are One Tonight” the huge hook and chorus sounds like a Bon Jovi song. I picture thousands of screaming fans jumping up and down feeling like they are actually a part of Jon Bon’s band and show. As likeable as Jon Bon Jovi was in the 80’s we also figured out that he is very cheesy, as are the lyrics and feel of this song.

We are one, tonight!
And we're singing it out!
We are one, tonight!
And we're dreaming out loud!


What you can expect from this record is almost entirely what you would imagine it to be - the same “crunching” guitar sounds repeatedly heard clear back to 1997’s release Legend of Chin. Please listen to me Switchfoot! Find some new effects on your guitars! There are hundreds! You will also hear the same themes that have covered every album like thick gravy. Eleven out of 12 songs have to do with being “lost”, “broken”, “wounded”, “lonely”, etc and needing something “more”. If I could sum up Switchfoot’s entire catalog it would be with the idea of “wanting something more.” This idea is perfectly fine and makes sense in my mind but is also a little cliché and wears on you just the same. It is like listening to the same song 12 times in a row.

Good moments on “Nothing is Sound” depart as quickly as they arrive. Compellingly difficult questions are raised on “the Blues” that remind us that as humans we don’t have answers for everything. The unique harmonies and lyrics on “The Shadow Proves the Sunshine” are beautifully honest. Jon Foreman pushes for a much needed global perspective on “Politicians.” And the one “unique to Switchfoot” moment comes with a surprising harmonica on “The Fatal Wound.” All in all, this far from salvages the self-produced pop album that is “Nothing Is Sound.”

This album lacks logical and creative lyric writing. There are no musical innovations or original moments waiting for you on this record. What is special about bands such as Radiohead is that they knew when it was time to reinvent themselves. They knew they could not be the Radiohead of The Bends/Ok Computer era forever or people would get tired of it. After 5 releases of The Legend of Chin, it is time for Switchfoot to reinvent themselves or they will be bound to a future of re-releasing albums and one solid greatest hits tour. If you are looking for a piece of art that is either creative or original, “Nothing is Sound” has nothing for you. I would pay 99 cents to download “The Shadow Proves the Sunshine” and then just keep listening to the Switchfoot records you already have.

6 comments:

Tyler said...

I like your review. It's going to save me about 12 bucks.

Dustin said...

hahahaha. i'm glad it was just you brian. I was like, "who is this jackass?"

g13 said...

relevant is the new 7ball.

why are christians so afraid of criticism? without adequate critique, true art is a pipe dream.

Adam said...

Yeah I was at a youth ministers meeting and they were talking about it and I was tempted to tell them I heard it sucked. But... if it can help kids listen to positive music, more power to it.

Mandy said...

somehow it doesn't surprise me that this CD sucks. As soon as "Meant to Live" hit the radio charts I knew everything would hit the fan. I haven't even heard the new stuff yet, but "Beautiful Letdown", though a decent CD, showed hints of vagueness already. I saw them in concert in Michigan somewhere and I wasn't a big fan at all of even their vagueness in stage performance.

I'm not a fan of boring simple generalized lyrics. but i guess for those who buy into that kinda stuff, they might like it?

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your words Dustin. I heard their new song on the radio and i felt nothing but disappointment.