Saturday, October 09, 2004

Church for Normal People????

I went back to my hometown, a small farming community last month. I was able to spend time with family still living in the area who are not interested in attending church. My uncle Mike actually thought it necessary to tell me, “I don’t have a problem with Jesus, he was a pretty cool dude, I just hate the church. All they ever want is my f***ing money.”

I spent time with another uncle of mine who is a working class man with a small house and few possessions who is also not part of a church community. Why? Several reasons probably but one reason may be because churches are not real concerned with him. When is the last time a church was started next to a trailer park? When was the last mass mailing that included it? When was the last outreach event that involved anything that might interest the working class? (Although I did hear about a car show that turned out awesome for Westbrook in Bolingbrook)

The church is great if you work at State Farm Insurance, are middle/upper class, drive a nice car and eat at upscale places. I think many suburban churches around the country are missing out on thousands of people because they have not considered the working class a priority. Why? Is it because they have no money? Is it because we do not know how to relate to the working class? Is there room for the working class in church? Do we hire blue collar men and women who will be able to relate to people who are not highly educated? Where is the construction worker ministry? Where are convenient store workers on Sunday? Why aren’t janitors involved in small groups? I’m not criticizing the church, I love the church which is why I am a pastor. And I’m also sure that there are churches out there reaching this demographic so don’t get pissed and say, “you’re stupid, just look at my church.” I’m just realizing lately that those who we would consider in a lower income bracket/blue collar/working class/however you wish to classify it do not get the attention that those with stable jobs who live in nice neighborhoods get. I would love to hear other thoughts on this.


No comments: