Saturday, August 02, 2008

...a needed rest

This past week I tagged along with Kelli and made a trip down to the southern Oregon coast and into northern California. It was a nice break and I feel a lot more energized now that I'm back. Last Friday and Saturday we had an elders retreat over at the Goff's and I didn't feel like I had anything in my relational bank to really spend on the elders so I felt bad for that. I pretty much just sat their and said very little. I wish I would have had more in me to give, but I was running on an empty tank. This week I was able to refill that tank and I'm looking forward to our baptism/bbq gathering tomorrow!

Anytime I step away for a few days I come to a realization again of how awesome the people in our community are. We've got a really incredible thing going on and I'm thankful to be a part of that!

I'm back and I'm excited to get ready for the head coverings passage next week!

4 comments:

kristi said...

just a reminder (don't know if you need this but thought i would share): just because you are a leader doesn't mean you need a give-and-take relationship with the people in your community. you don't always have to be "on" or "full" and ready to pour into people; it's reciprocal. so don't beat yourself up (not that you were doing this here but i seemed to hear a hint of it for whatever reason).

i think this view of community is in my mind what separates the "old" way of doing church and the "new" way, or the way i want to embrace anyway--the way where the leaders are not required to have all the answers, to uphold the entire body by themselves.

much love to you & kelly!

Dustin said...

Hey Kristi,

That's a great reminder. Thanks for that! I need to copy and paste that on my desktop.

Dan said...

i hate the head covering passage.

Dustin said...

why's that Dan?