Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Out of Ur Article


Bob just wrote a good article here on going multi-site minus the video venue. Good thoughts. Couldn't agree more.

I obviously have a bias here since I'm the primary teaching elder at Hawthorne but I'm just trying to think how I would have felt had I been doing all of this work for the community, have a gift of preaching and teaching and then having Bob say, "we're going to do a video venue." How insulting that would have been. I dislike video venues for various reasons, many of which are expressed in the article, but one of the major reasons I dislike them is because they steal people's gifts, they rip arms off the body to put things in a more Pauline way. I never want to rob people of using their gifts for the sake of the community in the name of "efficiency" or to boost my own ego.

2 comments:

The Anonymous Human said...

Fantastic article. Thanks for sharing. I'm glad you are a part of such a great community.

John V said...

"But do church plants fail because of the planter? Or is it because of unreasonable expectations, unsustainable 'big launch' methods in which thousands of dollars are pumped into new churches in an effort to make them big, fast..."

Couldn't agree more. Good article.